LED tail lights

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
ccalingaert

LED tail lights

Post by ccalingaert »

I've never liked the stock tail lights and finally replaced them. The new ones are JW Speaker Model 265 and they have LEDs that are rated for 9V - 30V. They mount flush with two bolts, one of which fit in an existing tail light hole. The plug for the wires required a 1" square cutout. The TD lights are a bit too large for a 710, and this seems like a cleaner installation than other LED lights I've seen. It's about time I had reverse lights as well as red brake lights.

Chris
'74 710K
NC_Mog

Post by NC_Mog »

Very nice. Where did you get them and how much? Not like I need any more projects where I spend money.
Kimball
1979 712M
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Nice looking lights and clean installation! Do you have pix of the backside from under the body?

Source and price please?

Paul C

(edit) (Sorry for the repeated question- posted without refreshing first)
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
ccalingaert

Post by ccalingaert »

The lights were $202 for the pair including shipping from Oviedo Safety Lighting, http://www.oviedosafetylights.com/. They don't stock Model 265, but will special order any JW Speaker product. They were quoted a 3-4 week lead time by the manufacturer, but the lights I received were built exactly two months after I ordered them. Maybe they made a few sets and now have some in stock at the factory.

I also took the opportunity to add side marker lights since there aren't any lights or reflectors on the side of the Pinzgauer, and we all know how visible OD green is at night. They are Truck Lite Model 33 from Levine Auto Parts http://www.levineautoparts.com/model33.html. They are 12v LEDs so they had to be wired in series.

Chris
'74 710K
ccalingaert

Post by ccalingaert »

As requested, photos of the backside. The wire running from one side of the truck to the other is for the side marker lights.

Chris
'74 710K
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

very nice look! and clean too.

Scooter
TechMOGogy
Canada

Re: LED tail lights

Post by TechMOGogy »

Adding this link here for some additional small LED side marker lights (red and amber) for archiving purposes.
http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lights/ ... 11RKB.html

Dan
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Very nice. The first LED tail-light update done that looks correct on a Pinz to me.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Hey Chris,
Looks like your 710K is up for sale.
Sorry to see that but hopefully on to bigger and better?
I agreed so much with Vince (and your photos) that I copied you and installed the same LED tail lights!
Thanks for the info in this post - next up will probably be me copying your small side marker lights.
Cheers and good luck with the sale
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/ct ... 71570.html

Mine
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1407204715.672999.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1407204715.672999.jpg (88.91 KiB) Viewed 15809 times
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Added LED lights to mine as well. Replaced the reflectors with them. Tied them into the OEM system.
Attachments
CIMG3323.JPG
CIMG3323.JPG (104.13 KiB) Viewed 15795 times
CIMG3318.JPG
CIMG3318.JPG (115.55 KiB) Viewed 15795 times
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

I like that you replaced the missing stock reflector with red reflector tape. While it is not "stealthy", it may save you from being rear-ended some day -- and rear reflectors are required in all states that I've checked. And the LEDs look good, too!
Jim M.
712W and 710M
redbeerd
United States of America

Post by redbeerd »

I know this is an older post but I recently found some JW Speaker 265 LED tail lights on closeout at Headlight Revolution. Listed at $90/each. Before this, I had seen them closer to $160 ish each.

I ordered a pair it took weeks to get them for some reason. I ordered on 25NOV. and just got them today, 20DEC. HR said they only had one so were waiting for the other, then they didn't send them last week like they said they would. No biggie, wasn't in a rush. And it looks like they still have them on "closeout", for now...

https://headlightrevolution.com/jw-spea ... p-6-wires/
Erik
1974 710M
Ham: KJ7DKD
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

redbeerd wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:30 pm I know this is an older post but I recently found some JW Speaker 265 LED tail lights on closeout at Headlight Revolution. Listed at $90/each. Before this, I had seen them closer to $160 ish each.

I ordered a pair it took weeks to get them for some reason. I ordered on 25NOV. and just got them today, 20DEC. HR said they only had one so were waiting for the other, then they didn't send them last week like they said they would. No biggie, wasn't in a rush. And it looks like they still have them on "closeout", for now...

Best LED lights for a Pinz
White backup lights are very bright
Hotzenplotz
Austria

Post by Hotzenplotz »

Tail lights with an E-approval are available here
https://www.westfalia-versand.at/shops/ ... nd-led.htm
they match the gen1 taillights of non-swiss vehicles
Cheers
Albert
========================
My Pinz has NEVER been with any army
djw
United States of America

Post by djw »

TechMOGogy wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:48 pm
redbeerd wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:30 pm I know this is an older post but I recently found some JW Speaker 265 LED tail lights on closeout at Headlight Revolution. Listed at $90/each. Before this, I had seen them closer to $160 ish each.

Best LED lights for a Pinz
White backup lights are very bright
Looks like you have to source and fab-up your own Deutsch 6-pin connector to make these work, and one side is mounted upside down as the location of the plug offset from a centerline?
'74 710K (ÖBH Austrian Rehab) mostly unmolested original - the unicorn (everything works!)
collecting pinz docs since 2012 - pm me if I can help