Nice Rack - Part II

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
texas pinzgauer

Nice Rack - Part II

Post by texas pinzgauer »

My last posting with that title was about the very serious roof rack that Andre Swanson built for my previous 710. (Of course the discussion about the rack got side tracked to that photo of the woman in Toronto but I'll leave you to find that on your own) One of its interesting features of the rack that Andre built was provision for the door tops when I wished to run without them.

As we've all noticed, there really isn't a good place to stash door tops in a Pinzgauer while you're driving around and away from home. Here's my solution to that problem.

The photos show the sections of seamless pipe that I had my local welding resource fabricate for me with base plates. I used stainless steel machine screws to attach these to the Pinz and I removed the transmission access plate so I could look and feel around to make sure I wasn't going to drill holes into anything that shouldn't get drilled into. The two door tops sit parallel to each other out of the way and don't affect the ability to fold the seats down for flat deck storage. I may still cut down the length of these pipe sections by a few inches to allow easier access to these racks but that will be easy to accomplish with a grinder if it needs to be done. For you purists out there, I did take about 4" of length out of the longer of the two door "guide posts"....sorry.

I was thinking that I would need pipe insullation to keep them from banging against each other but the rack is so secure and angled in such a way so that they don't even touch each other or rattle around.

Feel free to email me with any questions about this solution for what is a very common problem....now easily addressed.

Looking for next new (for me) toy
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 3094951494
milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

NICE 8) Great solution, it's such a simple design anyone should be able to weld one of these up.

Miles
Lots of Pinz pictures here.......
http://picasaweb.google.com/pinzgauer.depository.1

'73 Pinzgauer 712M
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Nice, now you just need to get someone that you don't like to ride the back while you take it off road. after they plumit them self on that they wount make back to the er alive for sure.
andy

Post by andy »

Nice idea and nice design. Me likee
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
www.deerleaseservices.com
texas pinzgauer

Post by texas pinzgauer »

Thanks very much Andy. Once I looked at the need, the solution became obvious.

David
Looking for next new (for me) toy
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 3094951494