How much is enough

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
Pinzgauer Pete

How much is enough

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

Ok its time to add some accessories to the pinz..I am contemplating installing a samlex 24v to 12v converter rated for 30amps is this enough to run a stereo, gps,rear vision monitor,and charge my cell phone??? I am thinking it should be but would like to hear from guys that installed converters and wish they had gone bigger..and why??...thanks guys :)
life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which one you might get

710M
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

enough to run a stereo, gps,rear vision monitor,and charge my cell phone???
I do that with my 12.5A Astrodyne unit with no problems...

But my original 20A Samlex only worked for a year. I've had several Astrodyne units (made by MeanWell) for many years since, and no problems yet. I use the 12.5A unit for the typical stuff, and a seperate 27A unit for the fuel injection system; this runs the fuel pump, injectors, and ignition system.

Jim M.
Last edited by Jimm391730 on Tue May 11, 2010 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roadrash

Post by roadrash »

I would say 30 amps is WAY more than you need for the items listed as each of them is probably less than 2 amps and more likely 1.... Still nothing wrong with having extra, there are always things you can add to it.... CB's, scanners 12v lighting and if you really want to chew up amps, a VHF. Key down on one of those and they are sometimes over 20A. If you can get the 30, i wouldnt go smaller. my .03 cents
1973 710K
The Ark
pinzwheeling

Post by pinzwheeling »

roadrash wrote:I would say 30 amps is WAY more than you need for the items listed as each of them is probably less than 2 amps and more likely 1.... Still nothing wrong with having extra, there are always things you can add to it.... CB's, scanners 12v lighting and if you really want to chew up amps, a VHF. Key down on one of those and they are sometimes over 20A. If you can get the 30, i wouldnt go smaller. my .03 cents
I wouldn't go smaller... what if you need to run the microwave, the vacuum and your welder at the same time? :lol:
Michael

Looking for a deal on a Toyota or used car?
email: rosenblumm@gmail.com
krick3tt

Re: Converter

Post by krick3tt »

You can run the welder off the batteries direct...no need for expensive converter. Ha.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
karoja

Post by karoja »

Get a Fridgefreez fridge (http://fridgefreeze.com/). They run on 12/24/110 volt. A friend suggested the 45 quart one as the they to cool faster. I keep water bottles on the bottom, they freeze nicely so you can enjoy your cocktails at night.
Karl
http://www.monkeybaymarina.com
712 Camper / 710 M
Pinzgauer Pete

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

I got the astrodyne as suggested by Jimm now I have a 240w stereo and a new gps coming...little by little the pinz is coming togeather a day at a time. :)

710M
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Which model Astrodyne did you get and where did you source it?

Thanks,

Paul
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
Pinzgauer Pete

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

Paul...Astrodyne is a company that seems to sell its own merchandise and dosent have others source their items. Google Astrodyne.. on their site are specs..I selected the 27amp model and paid 145.00 for it...my only complaint was there are no included mounting brackets with the unit so you are on your own fabricating those, most other companies have mounting ears right on the converter itself so mounting is as easy as drilling holes.

710M
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

The Astrodyne unit has threaded holes in the bottom, I put the appropriate sized length screws in from the back. It's not as easy as just bolting to a mounting ear, but not too hard (depending on where you want to mount it!

Jim M.
BillG

Post by BillG »

I'm a new member and this is my first post, so please bear with me it I come-off awkward but... Any electrical converter or inverter system you install will last longer, run cooler and give you a better long-term experience if you rate it like _way_ over what you think you will ever use. With a robust battery (or DC) source, a 2.5kW - 4kW peak inverter will let you run things like skillsaws and big drills so when you find yourself suddenly saving someone's bacon because you can, you will have enough power. Don't under-rate. In fact, look to your wildest imagination, then triple it.
"To Infinity...and beyond!" -Buzz Lightyear
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Most will be limited to there 35amp Alternator.
BillG

Post by BillG »

Erik712m wrote:Most will be limited to there 35amp Alternator.
...limited to their 35A alternator, buffered by the battery array, potentially supplying hundreds of amps, albeit for a limited time. There are some fantastic inverters out there; way efficient and quite powerful. I saw a MSW that sources 24VDC and pops 75Amps at 120VAC. With this kind of efficiency, it makes sense (IMHO) to put your marbles into inverter technology and run 110VAC appliances, refrigeration, power tools, air conditioning....
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

You mean like roof top A/C? Image

I have A 5kw Invertor Image

I take the A/C off and the Invertor out when the wife doesn't go along. I have four batteries and with the bigger items A/C, Fridge, and TV I can still kill the batteries in a couple hundred miles.
BillG

Post by BillG »

It looks like we're very much on the same page here. My 712AMB is scheduled to be here (Mexico) early July. I have had very good results with an inverter on my boat, but the entire system is way too heavy what with the batteries (12 x 6VDC 'Golf Cart' @ 62lbs each) for a Pinz install. The alternator is a 105Amp job that loafs along at about 65A. I will look to see if one of these will fit into the Pinz..The AGM deep-cycle batteries look like a good way to go also for the house setup. But in the real world, does one really need to do a power system like this when these little Honda generators are so easy and light and reliable? (I just _love_ this s41t!) BTW, Nice truck, dude ...