air compressor

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
rivervoog

air compressor

Post by rivervoog »

I am getting ready to install my viair 24 volt compressor it is rated for constant duty, do I need a tank and if so is 1 gallon big enough? Also am planning to install behind drivers seat, any other ideas on locations out there?
Kaweeka

Post by Kaweeka »

Others, who know what they are talking about, will provide a better answer but this set up looks pretty nice:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pinzgauer ... 20&dir=asc

What caused you to pick a compressor over a CO2 system? Don't have the need yet but when the time comes I'm still torn between the two . . .
Stuck in the bureaucratic spin cycle!
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

What are you installing it in? m? k? amb? 710? 712? :?

Ed
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
krick3tt

air compressor

Post by krick3tt »

I have a 12v Via-air that is left over from the Mog days. I keep it in a 50 cal ammo box (perfect fit) in the tool compartment. Don't use it all the time so it's not a permanent fixture. The ammo can keeps it water proof.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

tanks are pretty much worthless unless you are going to run an air horn that requires more air than the pump will put out. For general tire inflation there is just no need for the tank. Be careful to make sure that the air chuck releases air so the line does not build pressure and cause failure with the pump. I have a pump installed in my 712 behind the drivers seat and the location works fine. I keep my Via-air unit loose in my 710 and there is something to be said for having a portable unit. When someone needs air in the group and you can not get close enough to them, being able to take the compressor to them is nice.

CO2
I really like a co2 tank but they are limited to just what the tank holds so when you are out, you are out!

You should stop by and see us once in a while and check out all the different installs of compressors first hand.
rivervoog

Post by rivervoog »

I'm starting to think portable might be the answer. I have been storing it in a fat 50cal. ammo can, can you run it in the open can or will that hinder cooling? If I can find some 24 volt quick connects it would be nice to leave it in the garage unless out wheeling. Gone out with SWPA a few times but my scedule makes it hard,great guys learned alot from them. Thanx for all the responses. Also big thumbs up for EI,s new fiberglass top love mine.
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

I just use jumper cable style clamps to hook mine up. Any auto parts store has replacement ones.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Several points here.

There have been many great installations on Pinzes of 24v air compressors over the years… from mounting them in the battery box to mounting them in the ‘dead’ area behind the rear tires, in front of the rear lights. This location is also good for air tank(s). Some have gone to hard plumbing quick disconnects to all 4 wheel wells ( though I think to the center of each side, or one front and rear are plenty) to avoid having to stretch an air line around.

Unless you have more than one 24v system vehicle, you may be better suited to permanently mount it in an unusable space, rather than portable in valuable storage space. Additional air hose is cheaper than the heavy electrically wire needed for extensions.

All small compressors are either low pressure/ high volume, or high pressure/ low volume ( as used for car tires). The addition of reserve air tank(s) give you short burst of high pressure / high volume that is needed for air tools and quicker tire inflating (and possibly reseating debeaded tires). Though most people don’t have/carry air tools, a quick hit from an impact may be the difference breaking a lug nut loose ( or other fastener) . With the installation of a pressure switch, you can enjoy more time doing other things than waiting for a tire to fill… the pump will recharge the tank on its own.

The Power (CO2) Tank is my favorite for portability and versatility. A 10lb tank has capacity to fill 30 + tires. I have also had it demonstrated to me to reseat a tire by removing the Schrader valve and hook the air hose directly to the valve stem to get the mass of air needed to get a tire to seat on a rim. But even with the Power tank, an air compressor is a good backup, in case the tank is used up.

Most all my vehicles have electric forklift type quick disconnects on them ( one style for 12v system and another for 24v ). These are good for temporary connections or for interconnect jump points for vehicles. Besides the interconnect cables, I have short pigtail jumpers for jumping someone else vehicle (with polarity LEDs, a simple way to keep from hooking them up backwards, or accidentally shorting a clamp against the vehicle’s body). My battery chargers also have these connectors
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)