Offroad sound or audio system

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Offroad sound or audio system

Post by McCall Pinz »

I'm just starting to think of adding a stereo system to the Pinz and was wondering what others have done. The system needs to be pretty dustproof and probably has a potential to get wet. I probably don't want a CD/radio head unit because of vibration/dust/etc. There's an amp made by Bazooka for marine applications that includes an ipod input and a remote control and was wondering if anyone's used one. It seems like the system would be simple- ipod, amp, speakers. The whole thing will probably be put into a box between the divider wall and the forwardmost rear seats. Any thoughts?
spandit

Post by spandit »

I'm thinking of mounting a head unit in the roof (to keep it dry) that will take a 3.5mm jack input from an mp3 player. Most car CD players have pretty good anti-vibration technology anyway. Going to run it off the 12V converter so I can have it blaring without the ignition on
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)
krick3tt

off road radio

Post by krick3tt »

I bought a cheap...pardon, inexpensive...Kenwood for the pinz. Made an aluminum box for it and hung it from my roof mounted CB platform. Sound is good (fair) and it hasn't yet grown legs and left me.
Also made speaker hangers from plastic place mats for vibration dampeners. Previous were metal and off road vibrations trashed them.

http://s400.photobucket.com/albums/pp88 ... MG3778.jpg

http://s400.photobucket.com/albums/pp88 ... MG3780.jpg

http://s400.photobucket.com/albums/pp88 ... MG3779.jpg

Morris
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

I opted not to go for a head unit and chose just an ipod and basic amp instead, which i mounted to the back of the side vent plate cover (behind the driver). I have a manual switch that turns on my 12v through a relay. It turns the amp on as well.

I used $50 water resistant enclosed speakers from Amazon. Pioneers.
McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Post by McCall Pinz »

Audiocontr- That's what I'm hoping to do. What amp did you use? Where are the speakers mounted? Pics?
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

If I could make an amp recommendation; A friend, and former co-worker recently showed me some new JL Audio amps. (He manages AMS in Madison, WI. No association with me.) They were just remarkable in the amount of power they developed v. the small amount they consumed. They were incredibly small. Compared to any other auto amps I've ever seen, they were just amazing.

He also had a couple "marine" units which were noteable for being weather-resistant. You might investigate marine equipement in general.

I used to work in electronics, but I've been out for decades (yikes!), so I don't know any specific models to recommend, but I hope this helps.
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Back in the day I owned an audio shop. I had a few old Phoenix Gold Saphire amps left over. They are about the size of a sheet of paper, 2 x 75watts. The amp is to the right, my old 24v - 12v converter on the left. I sprayed them green.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/YE ... directlink

The speakers arent mounted. They sit directly behind the front seats and directly behind the front cab divider, wedged between the rear seat and the wall. I purchased 4 camo mosquito head nets at the local army surplus and wrapped em around the speakers. You cant tell they are speakers unless you look close.

I ran two pairs of speakers in parallel off of a 2 channel amp. When i get my 712, i will probably grab a cheap four channel amp and mount a 3rd set all the way in the rear.

My recommendation is to NOT buy a new amp. Plenty of cheap used amps on craigslist. Stick with a name brand amp and about 75 watts per channel and you'll be set.