Leather handle covers

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
totaljoint

Leather handle covers

Post by totaljoint »

Ok, it's not original, not even military. I wanted a leather steering wheel cover. Couldn't see spending the $ for the internet one, so decided to make my own
Then the passenger knee bar could use some padding
and while I'm learning to sew leather covers, I'll try tooling them too
The winters are long and wet (too much time indoors), the cold air from the transfer case shifter is stopped by the boot, held on by magnets
and the door handles could use some leather as well
Lastly, the intercom system
Andre, your right! Driving with glass down in the summer is great (up to about 20mph).Image
krick3tt

leather

Post by krick3tt »

Nice work.
Neither original or military, not a problem, it's your vehicle. Make it comfortable for you. I am also learning to weld and just got my Dad's old industrial sewing machine fixed so I can do leather too. Just got seats from a Honda that I am installing. Doubt that I will do them in leather though.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

I've found that leather is funny. It'll streach where you don't want, and way more where you do. Then shrink like crazy when it's on and dressed.
I bought a couple of Al Stohlman books on the basics, then went to Tandy Leather for the needles, awl and hide. They gave me some good pointers on tooling as well as sewing.
Lot's of fun though!
blackstack
United States of America

Post by blackstack »

Looks great!! Where did you have the engine cover done? Is it spray on or glued on material? Same on the doors?
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

It's Line-x from S. Calif. Andre Swanson had it done for me when he did the cage/gas tank and some other mods. My latest addition is a small leather pouch held by ceramic magnets next to the lockers. Everytime I fold the windshield or roll back the canvas on the cab, I end up with screws and clips that want despiratley to get lost. This way I have a place that they won't fall out of.