Center consoles

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
audiocontr
United States of America

Re: Center consoles

Post by audiocontr »

Bringing this back to life

4x4 - Any thought to making a batch with the marine/plastic? I love mine, but its taken a beating with moisture.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

top was brought up once about some plastic. I never really chased down a good product that was semi cost effective. desertpinz (guy who now makes these) has come up with a mod for those who like to take their phone with them.
I guess dealing with this heat has its advantages :cry: Will have to check and see what is available here in the desert that might be more tolerant of moisture. I originally was going to line the interior of mine (much taller then the production model) with fiberglass so I could use it as a small cooler. Sadly too many items found a home in the box before I could get to it and now it is a catch all in the cab.
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

I'll keep an eye on this post in case there is any movement. I'd pay more for a plastic one, otherwise I could make do with a new wood version which I'll take beyter care of.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

I have used King Starboard with very satisfying results. Works like wood, can use regular routers/saws. Screws and pre-drilling are needed for secure joinery, but now they claim to have a glue for it as well. Only problem is the black dust/shavings make quite a static electric mess, but clean up with a vacuum. It comes in many colors, can't really be painted.
http://www.kingplastic.com/products/king-starboard-xl/

I've built drawers of the 5/8 inch black stuff that has held up with daily use under the seats of our suburban for over 10 years, and the 3/4 inch non skid panels have held up well as decking on our boat since 2004. I stored the extra pieces outside unprotected and after that many years in Washington summers and wintrsr, looks just like new.
High density polyethylene is it's chemical structure and is quite resistant to moisture and decay. It is basically the same stuff used as the bearing surface against metals in most all artificial joints, and as the skid plates found in many ski lifts and cable tram stations.
Smaller sheets can be found on e-bay or many plastics stores carry them as well.
mopar
United States of America

Post by mopar »

Sound pretty much like Delrin(which is a brand name). Looks like a good material. I think the black or dark grey would be a good universal pinz color!! I'd get one out of this material if it could be done.

1974 712M AKA the Banana
1974 710M AKA the project truck
1987 718M Now Sold
1975 Volvo TGB1111 Now Sold
1973 Pinzgauer 712M x2 Now Sold
1963 404S Now Sold
EmbarkChief
United States of America

Post by EmbarkChief »

That looks really good, best idea for cup holders that I've seen.
-1972 710M