LED brakelight

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
totaljoint

Re: LED brakelight

Post by totaljoint »

I was told that I needed more light out the back for brake and turn. I wanted to go to LED anyway, but costs were a bit high.
I decided to put in double Grote "jeep" style tail lights on each side (e-bay, new@ 9.00/ea) and used 63 LED 1157 bulbs:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2x-63-LE ... ccessories
for the brake/turn and the same in 1156 white for the backups:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2x-63-LE ... ccessories

I have plenty of light back there now on brake/turn:

and with back-ups:

Only problem is that when I use the right turn signal, the right is blinking smart and bright, but the left also has a dim blink (180 degrees out of sync) and visa versa.
Not noticable when the driving lights are on, just when the turn signal is used alone.
I assume the LED's are sensitive to low amperage and that I must have a leak from one side to the other. Is this an issue with my new
Hella electronic flasher?
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I bought my new flasher from NAPA and do not have any issues with dim lights. I only use one of my LED lights for turning (the on the outside) and the inner light is for tail light only, no flashing for turn signal. Did you wire them so that both flash for turn signal? I wanted to show a different brightness when turning so you can see the difference between a turn signal and tail light.

Scott
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

Scooter:
Both lights are wired to flash/brake.
I've been looking at an LED bulb that flickers on braking- to use only on the outside light, but not sure of the legalities in the US. There is also a little gadget which makes the lights flash back and forth when braking to get attention.
Not that an 8 foot tall 5.5 foot wide 6 wheeled behemoth doesn't do that already.
I went with LED not only for the intense color/brightness but I didn't want to overload those narrow gauge wires by doubling up on the amperage draw.

I've thought of wiring as you mentioned, ie: keep one for brake and one for turn, (like school buses use), and that would be real easy with the
Grote lights since the connectors are labeled and mounted outside the sealed box. For me, I think I found the best cost/safety/ease of use ratio.

At some point I have to stop "improving" before I go broke (thanks, e-bay). It's quite easy, even necessary, to invest way more in these vehicles that could ever be recouped (have you read the classified section lately?)
But, how much is "love for an inanimate object" worth?

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm busy making plans for that electronic tachometer, new top, 2.7 liter engine, power steering, EFI, and, Oh yes, it's about time for 7 new tires......