Tan 712 with great rack?

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
Pjtortoise79

Re: Tan 712 with great rack?

Post by Pjtortoise79 »

texas pinzgauer wrote:The rack that Andre fabricated for me was strong enough and designed to hold several people and gear when circumstances required. I mounted it on the front and rear rollover bars. I never noticed any COG issues but it certainly added weight and it limited what trails I was able to traverse given the added height.
I really like the way that your rack turned out and the storage for the front windows is awesome, but it looks like it would be hard to take the rear cover on and off.
texas pinzgauer

Post by texas pinzgauer »

The idea for the door storage overhead turned out to be a mistake. The better solution is the one I came up with for my 712 (if you do a search for Nice Rack - Part II, you see the rack that holds both door tops back to back behind the screened wall.) Drop me a line if you need to see those photos as it's a great solution in an under utilized place.

There's no way you would remove the rear canvas once Andre's rack was bolted down but i wasn't concerned about that. It was plenty beefy otherwise.
Looking for next new (for me) toy
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 3094951494
HafWit

Post by HafWit »

Andre also fabricated the rack for my Volvo C303. He does fantastic work!

Cheers,
Greg
HafWit
a.k.a. Phlyphysher, Greg, & Clamphysician
1967 Swiss Haflinger, 1975 Volvo C303
Pjtortoise79

Post by Pjtortoise79 »

I can't find your post showing your better door storage, I'm sure it is operator error. If you can post a link for me that would be awesome.

So I have a good baseline design for the rack that I'm going to build. But the last question that I have is whether I should go with aluminum or steel. Steel is stronger and aluminum is lighter. I'm going to be carrying the ARB Simpson 3 rooftop tent that weighs 120lbs plus some basic gear while driving (no more then 200lbs total). When we camp though, it will be my wife and I and the tent totaling 460 lbs with the tent.
Does anyone have any experience with either that would be enlightening? I would like to use steel because it is easier to weld, stronger if I roll, and can hold more weight, and it is cheaper for materials. But if aluminum is the way to go then I don't want to go wrong.
Thanks
texas pinzgauer

Post by texas pinzgauer »

Here you go. It was a simple and obvious solution to a problem that everyone has - what to do with the door tops when you wish to run without them.

http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/v ... =18&t=5348
Looking for next new (for me) toy
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 3094951494
psychoman

Post by psychoman »

Pjtortoise79 wrote:I can't find your post showing your better door storage, I'm sure it is operator error. If you can post a link for me that would be awesome.

So I have a good baseline design for the rack that I'm going to build. But the last question that I have is whether I should go with aluminum or steel. Steel is stronger and aluminum is lighter. I'm going to be carrying the ARB Simpson 3 rooftop tent that weighs 120lbs plus some basic gear while driving (no more then 200lbs total). When we camp though, it will be my wife and I and the tent totaling 460 lbs with the tent.
Does anyone have any experience with either that would be enlightening? I would like to use steel because it is easier to weld, stronger if I roll, and can hold more weight, and it is cheaper for materials. But if aluminum is the way to go then I don't want to go wrong.
Thanks
Personally I'd go with CDS steel as the best compromise on strength cost and weight - or blueband if you want the cheaper solution. Unless you really know what you are doing on the ally welding steer well clear.
It aint what you drive, its the way that you drive it...
Pjtortoise79

Post by Pjtortoise79 »

CDS sounds like the way to go, thanks for info. I'm in the Tucson area, so if anyone with fab/welding skills wants to make some cash to to give me a hand with the project next month, shoot me a PM. Just a thought...
Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

So how did the roof rack work out? Did you get er done or did it fall to the way side. Any response will have to have pictures to boot.
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com