Winch electrical extension

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
audiocontr
United States of America

Winch electrical extension

Post by audiocontr »

I'm looking to run 4 gauge to the rear of the 712 (both + and - for now) with a quick disconnect. I've found Bulldog extension kits for $109. Can anyone think of a cheaper solution?

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... CDMQ8wIwAA
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
Jimm391730
United States of America

Re: Winch electrical extension

Post by Jimm391730 »

You can purchase the connectors seperately, then get a good (#4 gauge) set of jumper cables for $20-40 and use the wire when the clamps are removed. This is the easiest, cheapest method I've found for getting realatively short lengths of heavy gauge wire. You might save half the cost.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
man on the mule

Re: Winch electrical extension

Post by man on the mule »

I got a set of heavy welding leads off of craigslist cheap and put them up through to the insde of the cab . Rolled up and hanging behind the drivers seat. Took the standard quick disconects from the welding leads and put the male ends on my winch and the female on the leads. my winch has a sort of pintle ring plus two bolts to hold on the front. If im on my side and need to do a right angle pull the winch is a 2 bolt removal and a chain to a tree or whatever within the 20 feet reach of the leads. If I get off into a ditch and have to go in reverse then the pinz pintle hitch is the anchor and Im set for a revesve pull. Most often Im by myself and one mile past nowhere, so self recovery is / has worked well. So far, one opps in the snow on the mountain to the northeast of home (got back on all four in about 6 or 7 minutes) one opps in the lead of a group of pinzs (so much for "follow me guys!") that was self righting but took about 10 minutes. A bunch of rescues of "my truck goes reaaly good in mud "guys, and a lot of basic ranch type winch use.Oh , and by the way Im running a 12 volt Warn 9.0 RC winch on 24 volts with lots of use so far and no problems and great performance. Works for me, time tested.
man on the mule. keep it real.