Lack of traction solutions

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
stevo

Lack of traction solutions

Post by stevo »

I have over 20 years experience with 4x4 P/Us and they all seem to have one thing in common-lack of rear end traction. The Pinz is no different (just a little better than some). This is how I attacked the problem, first by item removal then by the addition of other items.
Removal: 2 wooden bump rails (5lbs.@-total of 10lbs.), 2 rear-most seats (29lbs.@ total of 58lbs.), spare tire off tailgate (85lbs.).
Addition: 2@ 8'x3"x1/8" angle iron bump rails (30lbs.@-total of 60lbs.),2 spare tires (mounted) located where the rear seats were (85lbs.@-total of 170lbs.), 4@ 5gal. fuel cans (42lbs.@-when full, total of 168lbs.) 2@ mounted on the "seating shelf" in both rear corners, 1@ 60" hi-lift jack (35lbs.) mounted on the vertical bulkhead under the spare tire and fuel cans (passenger side), mounted on the opposite bulkhead (same location) 1@ axe, 1@ mattock, 1@ construction pry bar (total weight:26lbs.), 2@ 5gal. G.I. water carriers (53lbs.@-total of 106lbs.) mounted on the outside of the rear door where the spare tire used to be. By relocating all these items I was able to put 497lbs. of weight mostly in the last four feet of the bed. Add in the mounts, misc. tools, tow straps, etc. that we all carry (150 lbs. approx.) that's about 650 lbs. of usable ballast. How does it handle? Well, seems to be alot more refined to me.
Cheers, Stevo
No matter where you go, there you are!
spandit

Re: Lack of traction solutions

Post by spandit »

I'm wondering if removing one of the rear springs at the back would help? Failing that, I could just ask my mother-in-law to sit in the back (shouldn't be cruel, she's just had some pervert stealing a pair of her underwear off the washing line... she doesn't mind about the knickers but would like the 12 pegs back :D)
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)
stevo

Re: Lack of traction solutions

Post by stevo »

You know, everyone who comes to my house wants to ride in the truck. Now, besides having a better riding truck, I have "options"-"I'm sorry but there's only room for four in the back. So sorry."
No matter where you go, there you are!