CB antenna?

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
Pols497
United States of America

CB antenna?

Post by Pols497 »

I'm in the process of installing a CB radio in my 712. What is the best route and height of an antenna? like where to install it. on the roof where the old antenna was or off to the side by the elephant ears?
Roger Melton
krick3tt

Re: CB antenna?

Post by krick3tt »

I mounted mine on the right rear out of the way of branches and such.
It came with enough cable to get from the back to the front where the CB is mounted.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Ditto the rear. I used u-bolts to attach it to the rear left bumper. It's held on fine, clears branches and the garage door, and I didn't even have to make a mounting hole.
Pols497
United States of America

Post by Pols497 »

thanks guys.
Roger Melton
Stekay
United States of America

Post by Stekay »

FWIW, one of my company's divisions is Dorne & Margolin. I asked an antenna engineer about positioning. CB antennas are ground plane based so think of the metal around the staff as defining the shape and size of the pattern. Mounted on the front in the center, the pattern will radiate much further aft than forward. Mounted on the right half way back, you radiate a wide pattern to the left. With that said, I think things like buildings might have a bigger influence in town.
'76 710K
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

For short range trail communications do whatever is convenient. Magnet mounts can work well, when knocked loose by a low branch just stick it back in place. If longer range is needed use an antenna configuration similar to the standard Swiss setup. For better communications get your amateur radio license.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
Pols497
United States of America

Post by Pols497 »

Thanks again guys. I am getting my pinz set up for a Moab trip in around Oct. with a few of my friends. What tips can you desert runners give an Okie about camping there and what to bring for a week.
Roger Melton
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Traveling with a group is good. Might be careful about following the craziest daredevil in the group, know your skill level but explore. Lots of water, bring lots of water.
Thankfully a pinz owner does not have to carry too many spare parts. Enjoy

edit: One more thing...do not pet the cactus, no matter how cute they may seem. Learn to recognize the dreaded cholla and keep far away. They got the name ' jumping cactus ' for a reason.
Have a good pair of needle nose pliers in your tool kit or first aid kit. Cactus spines won't be removed with tweezers and something like axle grease helps to ease the pain once they are removed.
Last edited by krick3tt on Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

I’ll second that on the water (and sports drink). I carry more bottled water and soft drinks than I anticipate using plus a couple of 5 gallon cans as back-up.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
CentAr712
United States of America

Post by CentAr712 »

Personally, I think the best location for a CB antenna is the original center roof location. This is for two reasons; you can make a new mounting plate to affix to the roof location, therefore requiring no drilling or modification to the Pinz and also because it's in the ideal location for optimal transmitting and receiving.
Chris.
https://www.supanik.com/pinz
'76 712M Rapier Cargo (Swiss), For Sale
'83 MB W460 280GE G-Wagen, For Sale
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

I agree, but...
I made a plate and put the antenna for the radio there. CB one is on the back. The radio antenna is removable , otherwise I would
not be able to put the pinz in the garage. Fits better now that I use smaller radius tires. Still plenty of clearance under it though.