My Pinzgauer is undergoing a civilian face lift

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
Rocky Mountain Westy

My Pinzgauer is undergoing a civilian face lift

Post by Rocky Mountain Westy »

Hey guys and gals,

So I have been hanging around the Pinzgauer world for a while. I bought mine from Cold War in 2000 or so. Nothing great, just one of the many imported back then. I drove it for a couple years and then started to have Carb issues and I parked it. The plan was to EFI it. Well, my business grew, I got interested in VW Vanagons and Syncros and my Pinz sat idle. Thankfully in Colorado, that is not the worst think ever. Well, It is time to resurrect it. My soft top was pretty much junk from the start. So I cut up a Vanagon and made my own pop top hard top. I learned a lot from building that. I always said if I could do it over I would change this and that. As time passed I realized I wanted to make it into a full metal hard top. I bought a 1967 VW bus and well the rest is the future. I started this project on Thanksgiving Day 2011. I want to drive it to Moab in early May. Here are some pictures. This forum will be the main place where this build is documented. So I hope you enjoy. Please participate and I am always open to feedback and suggestions.

Here is the original Pop top I made. It is a 1980 Vangon Westy. I would call it about 85% finished. It bolts on and off, just like a truck topper. It is for sale if anyone is interested.

So here are some pictures of the first three days of the build. Basically we got the Bus cut it half. The Pinzgauer body all un bolted and trimmed off. We got the bus sitting on the Pinz floor pan. The pinz is about three inches wider and three inches longer. Pretty much a perfect fit.

Here is another work blast. I got the side doors fit up. I had to move the side doors back 8 inches to line up between the tires. So I stretched the front door and cut some out of the window on the rer 1/4 panel. I will do the same thing to the driver side.

This rear panel where the gas lid door and side vent are will be cut out and I will make a tool box with flip up door. I am going to use the rear engine lid door from the VW bus for that.

The center console lines up pretty good. I am going to connect the console to the dash and put round VDO gauges in the filler panel.

The steering column will have to be cut. I will put a couple U joints in it. It needs to move over about 3 inches and forward 5 inches. I am only 5'5" so I will build it around me. I imagine the seat will get moved forward a bit. I am going to use the Pinzgauer pedal assy and Brake booster. I will most likely have to reshape the pedals.

The front floor shouldn't be to bad to deal with. The very nose should be easy. I have a CNC plasma cutter table. So I will measure and blue print that front piece to follow the radius of the bus. The Pinz front bumper and tow hook have all been cut off. When I build the front bumper I will rebuild the truss that angles down to the drive tube. I will probably cut the whole thing off and start over, the truss that is. I probably over cut the Pinzgauer floor a little bit, but that's ok. I can fill it with metal. While I am reinforcing the floor and attaching the bus to the Pinz I will probably make another support bracket for the Steering Box. It seems to have a little flex to it.

These aren't the best pics but I cut the side out and I will extend the floor out to the side cargo doors. This whole step will be over built because I am going to cut the main Pinzgauer frame rail as well as the outer side rail. I have it laid out and I have a few pieces cut for that. I will get the new frame and step built then I will cut the frame rail out.

So that is pretty much what I got at this point. I will be working on it a bunch in the next few weeks. I need to have it done by May 1st .

Thanks for following,

Mike
undysworld
Norway

Re: My Pinzgauer is undergoing a civilian face lift

Post by undysworld »

May 1st! Whew. That looks like a challenge. I wish you well on it.

I'd seen some other pics, I think from the yahoo forum, earlier. I really think this is a cool project. I can't wait to see more progress. Thanks for sharing.
cruzoropeza

Post by cruzoropeza »

Can't wait to see the final product, my fav two vehicles!!!
skd

Post by skd »

This is a 'Me Too' post - I am looking forward to seeing the process and the final product. I came from baja bugs and vw buses and eventually sold my last vw (westy camper) when I realized that I haven't driven it in 2 years because the pinz was more fun... I have threatened to combine the 2 but lack the skills, time, money so it will be very nice to see this - thanks for posting; keep them coming.

Undysworld says he's seen something like this before on the web - time to start looking for that. Anybody have it handy?

Thanks
Steve
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

This was the page I got referred to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pinzgauer ... st?mode=tn
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Ever consider a job with Red Bull?
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

I am drooling (not cause I'm old, either) over your project. When I had a 63 VW van I took it places I should not have gone. Got it really stuck
many times, broke the drivers door on a big rock. Always wondered why VW did not do 4 wheel drive, I so wanted one. Now I have the pinz
and my youthful dream is realized.

That is one fantastic vehicle, or soon will be.

Wahoo.

Morris
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Quite an undertaking

I'd take the simple way out ..... a Westfalia Syncro :wink:
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
Rocky Mountain Westy

David Dunn wrote:Quite an undertaking

I'd take the simple way out ..... a Westfalia Syncro :wink:

I have three Syncro Westys. They are worth too much money for my cheap ass to enjoy.

I have a really nice finished one with a Subaru SVX. I have one that is getting a TDI conversion and one that is offered to build as a dream rig for someone.

My Syncro that I will keep is a $500 passenger van with the factory sunroof. The sunroof is the whole center section of the van. It is pretty sweet. It is getting a 2002 Subaru 3.0L H6 installed right now.

Comparing a Syncro to a Pinzgauer is like comparing a Geo Metro to a Honda Civic. They both get 40 mpg, which would you rather drive?
Rocky Mountain Westy

krick3tt wrote:I am drooling (not cause I'm old, either) over your project. When I had a 63 VW van I took it places I should not have gone. Got it really stuck
many times, broke the drivers door on a big rock. Always wondered why VW did not do 4 wheel drive, I so wanted one. Now I have the pinz
and my youthful dream is realized.

That is one fantastic vehicle, or soon will be.

Wahoo.

Morris
I may trailer it down to the RMP get together on Jan 8th.

Are you going?
Rocky Mountain Westy

edzz wrote:Ever consider a job with Red Bull?

I am terminally unemployable. That is a side effect to self employment. :D
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

RMW,

Yes, I'll be there if the pinz is operable...and if it isn't I'll use the Jeep and bring my tent.

Morris
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Rocky Mountain Westy wrote:
....Comparing a Syncro to a Pinzgauer is like comparing a Geo Metro to a Honda Civic. They both get 40 mpg, which would you rather drive?
Well, between a Metro and a Civic. Neither
I wasn't comparing a Pinz to a Syncro, rather the introduction of the Steyr 4 wheel drive conversion to a civilian VW...A Noriker is even a cooler combination of Steyr and VW... shame they never became a doable venture.
But I do hold a grudge against Mercedes...the G Wagon is why there was never a 2nd generation Haflinger :evil: :lol:

Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

the G Wagon is why there was never a 2nd generation Haflinger
Hence why the G Wagen was called the "H2 Project" :D :D :D
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Hi Peter,
Been a long time since you've been here...I had started a reply on your new project and got sidetracked, and never got back to it. :oops: :oops:
I'll probably get a chance to write you this Sunday or Monday... I have nothing planned..... except a visit from 3 angels.... something about my life story... ough to take about 5 minutes. :mrgreen: :lol: