Tapping the stock jerry can to provide fuel to my heater

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
audiocontr
United States of America

Tapping the stock jerry can to provide fuel to my heater

Post by audiocontr »

It was a good idea in theory... I wanted to run diesel to my heater in the back for a couple reasons: 1) it was originally "t"'d into the stock fuel line but as soon as i turned on the heater, i lost power and bogged. Looks like that wont work. 2) I wanted to convert to diesel as i was nervous of the flash point of gasoline and passenger safety.

I tried to tap two holes with pipe thread but there isn't enough meat to make a proper seal. Its leaking. I'll need "weld" a plate over the two holes and try again. I say "weld" in quotes as what could be more dangerous than welding a gas can for an inexperienced welder? I was wondering if i could JB Weld or epoxy bond a small 3/8" plate (2"x3") to the jerry can, covering the two holes i drilled? Would that create a seal? I'd then drill and tap that plate.

My other option is to attempt fittings with o-ring gaskets. Something I'd have to have access to the back side via bending a wrench through the spout. Doesn't look very easy... But any recommendations on what fittings to use and where to find them?
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
krick3tt

Re: Tapping the stock jerry can to provide fuel to my heater

Post by krick3tt »

My understanding of the issue of welding a container with a flammable liquid is the fumes and heat. If the can is filled with water there is no flammable liquid
and no fumes. My Dad was a welder and would get jobs on construction sites welding the tanks of dozers and trucks with holes...he would never tell how he did it.
Since the water is heavier it sinks to the bottom and after the weld is accomplished the water is removed through the drain hole in the bottom...now, this is
just a guess, but makes perfect sense to me.

Personally, I would get a tank that is already prepared for the purpose and not worry about it. Small ones are available at off-road and racing shops. Save a life.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
michaelh712

Post by michaelh712 »

Will,
I installed a round spun-aluminum fuel tank up between the rear wheel set, plenty of clearance even with bigger tires. Fuel opening is flush with the seating surface with the seats folded down. Even though the tank is not hugh, the heater is so effiecient with diesel that one tank should last a long time.

Ebay lists these often, such as this supplier: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Coyote-Gear-Spu ... 175wt_1069

good luck
Michael
Michaelh712
michaelh@updc.org
Educational Anarchist
cronapress
Great Britain

Post by cronapress »

There is a "Makita" generator - and probably other makes too, that use a very shallow fuel tank. I have got one fitted directly under the Jerry can holder. They have a wide external flange with handy mounting holes already drilled. Using 1" wide flat bar bent into holding brackets, it has virtually the same footprint as a Jerry can. The filler lid is accessed via a 3" dia. hole cut in the "floor" of the Jerry can holder. Ok, so you have to slide out the can to fill the diesel tank, but that's no big deal.

On the fuel outlet side of things, I just kept the original on/off tap which already incorporated a glass fuel sediment bowl. Your feed to the heater pump etc. comes straight off that.

I fitted a small brass nozzle to the top corner of the tank (above fuel level) and attached thereto a short length of plastic narrow bore pipe. The other (open) end of the pipe is clipped to a convenient point higher up and out of the way of crud and splash. This is the breather.

It looks neat and as if "it's always been there". I think it holds about 2 gallons of red diesel which with using the Webasto heater lasts for months !

Mike 712M
Ayrshire.
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

All good ideas! Gents, could i get a photo when you have a chance?
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

If you decide to weld it, flush the tank well with water and after empting it of the water ask your fire dept to test it with a sniffer. Not absolutely necessary but good for peace of mind, leave the cap open when welding.

Of course after welding you may have a problem with the liner flaking near the weld.

I do like the idea of a small auxiliary tank and leaving the spare gas can alone; always nice to know I still have an extra 5 gallons.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Oh yeah, that spare gas can is a blessing, I would not eliminate it. It has come in handy. I emptied the vehicle tank once in very heavy
traffic and as I used the starter to move to the side of the road it was good to have spare gas. The fuel gage read almost half and I did
discover how unreliable the gage can be. Probably should be a separate thread for these off shoots but since we are on the topic of
possibly removing the spare tank...it came to mind. Your situations may vary.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
cronapress
Great Britain

Post by cronapress »

Hopefully, here are a couple of photos of my heater fuel tank. The pics show it fitted to my previous Pinz. This was a civvy version, so the jerry can holder is slightly different.

Stekay
United States of America

Post by Stekay »

Something I haven't seen mentioned that's very important on a Diesel fuel tank is "positive venting". Unlike a gasoline tank with a simple vent, you need to have an inlet and an outlet vent. Regular gas, being more volatile, rapidly builds up a vapor level in the tank which is too rich to be explosive. Diesel fuel, being less volatile, builds up so slowly that it may never get too rich. (air & fuel) So the standard solution is to actively vent the tanks so that any time the vehicle is moving, or even facing into the wind if the vents are so designed, the tanks are being kept below an explosive mixture level. This is most important in a hot, sunny climate.
'76 710K
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Another option might be to create a fitting to the jerrycan LID. I think this might be thicker and be taped/sealed (JB weld?) more easily. Plus, the cap can then go to different cans if required (if you remove the hinge pin).
Jim M.
712W and 710M
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Stekay wrote:Something I haven't seen mentioned that's very important on a Diesel fuel tank is "positive venting". Unlike a gasoline tank with a simple vent, you need to have an inlet and an outlet vent. Regular gas, being more volatile, rapidly builds up a vapor level in the tank which is too rich to be explosive. Diesel fuel, being less volatile, builds up so slowly that it may never get too rich. (air & fuel) So the standard solution is to actively vent the tanks so that any time the vehicle is moving, or even facing into the wind if the vents are so designed, the tanks are being kept below an explosive mixture level. This is most important in a hot, sunny climate.

I have a diesel pickup. I don't think it has positive pressure venting beyond the small vent tubes in the filler spout, justlike a pinz. What do you mean by positive venting a diesel tank?
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

cronapress wrote:Hopefully, here are a couple of photos of my heater fuel tank. The pics show it fitted to my previous Pinz. This was a civvy version, so the jerry can holder is slightly different.

That's perfect! Now to find a tank like that
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
Stekay
United States of America

Post by Stekay »

[/quote]What do you mean by positive venting a diesel tank[quote][/quote]

As described previously, a dual vent system that allows air to flow through so as to carry away the vapor to where it's lean enough to not be a safety issue. Your modern truck probably has a vapor recovery system that "inhales" those vapors in order to burn them with the liquid fuel.
'76 710K
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

hmm, interesting. I'm not aware of anything but ill take a look.

I picked up a tank as shown in the photos for $30 delivered. Time to patch my can and mount a new tank!
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder