Winch for a 712

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
bdelaporte

Winch for a 712

Post by bdelaporte »

I have a new 24v Warn Severe Duty 18k winch with 1/2''x75' EIPS Steel cable. It wears 175+ lbs. I am considering putting in on my 712 but think it is a little heavy and probably overkill. I would rather use it than try to sell it, buy a smaller model and lose money along the way.

The rule-of-thumb minimum is to take your GVW (that’s Gross Vehicle Weight, not curb weight) and multiply it by 1.5.

I believe the 712 AMB-S is right around 5500 lbs plus a payload of approximately 3k? If correct, then I would be running a 12,750 lbs winch.

I see lots of guys with Pinzgauers running 8k and 9.5 Warns, so I am wrong in my assumption?

I thoughts that if I took the 75' of 1/2 steel cable and roller fairhead off and replaced with 100+' of synthetic rope and an aluminum fairhead, I would save approximately 60 lbs of weight off the orginal set up. The trypical Warn or Milemarker 8k is running 85-90 lbs. Would the extra 30-35 lbs make a difference? For that matter, would the extra 85 lbs of weight with the 1/2''x75' EIPS Steel cable be too much?

Open to suggestions/Comments:
I have also been looking at the threads discussing winch mount bumpers and it has provided me with lots of good ideas/info. Thanks
Freedom is not Free![/i][/b]