Side storage idea

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
audiocontr
United States of America

Side storage idea

Post by audiocontr »

I had an idea as i was driving into work this morning - I was wondering if its possible to create a temporary shelf on the sides of a pinz to mount lawn chairs, camping gear and coolers? Has anyone done something similar?

My initial thought was using channel bar to replace my nonexistant rub rails. From that point i was thinking of creating a relatively thin and long shelf that i could hang from the channel. Mounting could be accomplished via a few vertically drilled holes and a pin system (plus a small shim to give the shelf a slight upward angle). I'd mimic the 2" receiver hitch luggage platforms that folks use on the back of their jeeps, just longer. The use of chains wrapped around the roll over bars and then to the outside edge of the shelf could provide support. From that point its a matter of a few bungees to hold stuff in place.

Hmm, might even be able to use waffle board! Multi-use! :shock:

(I'm sure the question will come up - A cargo rack would provide a better solution by far, but height is an issue for garage reasons.)
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
westernair
United States of America

Re: Side storage idea

Post by westernair »

Not a bad idea, just check with your state on what the max alowable width is. Also remeber when off roading these will be the first places that will snag.

I say make a removable roof rack, say a bar comming up from the window frame bolts and a bar that attaches to the antena mount.

Humm maybe I should do the same...
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Side storage is very prone to being left on the trail.

I installed steel side channel to replace the wood rails damaged on the trail. This also gave me a chance to create solid platforms for
coffee pot and cups etc. when camping or short duration stops on the trail. Great for making lunch outside.

Two shelves, one 15'' and one 32'' made from 5052 alum plate, bent and cut to go over the the washers used to stand off the
rail from the body. There are several shots in the series but I have only included one in the post. Feel free to examine the others
if you are so inclined.
The small shelf stores behind the storage box on the rear door and the larger shelf stores under the floor boards between the angle.

http://s400.photobucket.com/albums/pp88 ... C01650.jpg

Do PREVIOUS to see the other shots.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
texas pinzgauer

Post by texas pinzgauer »

Andre Swanson has built all kind of rear end racks. You might check with him to see examples.
Looking for next new (for me) toy
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 3094951494
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Krickett, youve got some very cool and innovative ideas in your photo collection
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

Built just that rail you describe, just haven't got around to building the shelves and other accessories yet.

Look here about halfway down the page.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4177&start=60

Miles
Lots of Pinz pictures here.......
http://picasaweb.google.com/pinzgauer.depository.1

'73 Pinzgauer 712M
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Miles,

Looks good. Wish I could do a top rack. Not made for the M version, and...too tall for the garage door.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Well there it is! Exactly. The stuff is pricey!
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder