Overhead Console

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Overhead Console

Post by Jimm391730 »

Update: I needed to update the photos of my overhead console, so the text is also updated to reflect the changes that have occured since this was first posted. Sorry that some of the images are sideways (anyone got a solution for that?).

I finally got a round to fabricating an overhead console for my 712W. This truck is unusual in that it came from the Swiss with a fiberglass hard cab roof. I wanted a console where I can mount light switches (the three in the pictures are for three sides of floodlights) and possibly mount my GPS, tire pressure monitor, or backup camera display, eventually. With so much possibility I wanted flexibility to mount different things in different places. I may have to replicate it for my 710M.

I took some 1" square aluminum tube that was bent to fit the contour of the roof (the bends are ugly, but that's how they came out from the brake press); the rear ends are hinged to the rollbar. This way the whole assembly can hinge downward so I can get to the wiring above. I used some springy stainless sheet and cut out "clips" that mounted behind the visor ends; they spring forward as the bars rise until the clips pop back into the top edge of the inside of the tube. To release, I put a notch in the lower edge of the tube so I can insert a screwdriver to pry the clip forward. I have some foam above the tubes that give the assembly some push downward to prevent rattles. The wiring hinges neatly as well when it is lowered; the tubes almost brush the edge of the doghouse cover when down.
DSC05032.JPG
DSC05032.JPG (111.73 KiB) Viewed 2442 times

I have four bays installed; the rearmost bay is the hardest to see so that is where I placed circuit breakers. The switches are LED illuminated and I set them up so that they are dimly lit when off (so they are easy to see at night) but go to full brightness when on (so I won't forget that they are on). I can make each bay to fit what is needed; the aluminum sheet is just pop riveted to the tubes and can be changed or modified as needed. I have room to expand if I need more switches, controls, or gauges. I covered the openings in the side for aesthetic reasons. I have a hinged panel that fits against the bottom of one section; it holds the backup camera monitor. I used magnets to hold it closed up against the console when not in use, and used a microswitch to turn the monitor on when opened, off when closed.
DSC05033.JPG
DSC05033.JPG (102.37 KiB) Viewed 2442 times
From rear to front I have circuit breakers, flood light switches and Go Light control, tire pressure monitoring and inside/outside thermometer with backup camera monitor hinged below, and GPS at the front.

Closeup of the clips, and how they fit into the tube. Note notch on bottom edge of tube to get the clips released:
DSC05035.JPG
DSC05035.JPG (86.31 KiB) Viewed 2442 times
DSC05036.JPG
DSC05036.JPG (67.19 KiB) Viewed 2442 times
And when hinged open it is easy to wire. Note the double headed nail that I use to unclip the clips (the nail fits into a clip at the back of the console where it is always available; you can just see the double heads above the circuit breakers in the first photo):
DSC05037.JPG
DSC05037.JPG (126.05 KiB) Viewed 2442 times
Last edited by Jimm391730 on Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
pcolette
United States of America

Re: Overhead Console

Post by pcolette »

Very nice!

I've been thinking of doing something like that. I may need to get a brake press :wink: Haven't bought a new tool in a while....
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
oasis

Post by oasis »

Very nice indeed. (Where's the applauding smiley?) 8)
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

I finally decided to get some of the stuff off the dash area, plus I had a new backup camera monitor to mount. I fabricated a box for the monitor and hinged it to fit under the switch bay; then in front of that is my 6 channel tire pressure monitoring display and GPS in the front:
The monitor box is held up with strong magnets; one in the box, one inside the switch bay. The monitor hinges down like this"
I closed in the sides of the bays with 1/4" thick craft foam, cut it barely oversized and just stuffed it into the openings. It does clean up the look.
The tire pressure monitoring system is 12V only, so I've run power up from my converter for it an any possible other 12V needs. The GPS and monitor can run from 24V but they are powered/protected by the third circuit breaker switch.
And it still hinges down to make wiring easier.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
mopar
United States of America

Post by mopar »

looks good nice fab job.

1974 712M AKA the Banana
1974 710M AKA the project truck
1987 718M Now Sold
1975 Volvo TGB1111 Now Sold
1973 Pinzgauer 712M x2 Now Sold