My take on music in a Pinz...

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
berger
Canada

My take on music in a Pinz...

Post by berger »

When I bought the Iltis, one of the first things I did, after getting rid of the Michelin XL tires, was add a stereo. Since I still have the Shark 250w, FM/AUX/MP3/SD, 12v motorcycle stereo I bought for it, I wanted to try and get it to work first before I went the route of the AMP board others have used. In the Iltis I used a Battery EQ to get 12v, but since I probably hurt the batteries with my install, I wanted to stay away from that altogether. Since the 24v-12v step down unit, which plugs into the Pinz 24v DIN connector, is working so well for my GPS, I wanted to use it. The power cord for the the Shark has a plug on one end, and a split wire on the other, which allows you to tap into a 12v source and ground. I wanted to leave this intact for my Ural, so I went searching for a used accessory connector and cable that will work in the Shark...and I found one at work. A colleague of mine had an old coffee cup warming plate that broke, and didn't need the cable any longer..and it fit the Shark! Here are two videos, one of the radio and converter, and the other with the engine running and the volume bumped to 50% (iPhone video). Now I need to figure out where to place the stereo. I used Velcro so that I can remove the unit when I need too.

Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
texas pinzgauer

Re: My take on music in a Pinz...

Post by texas pinzgauer »

I've got a Pandora account and log into it via my BlackBerry when on the road in the Pinz and use earplugs to listen. Music is loud enough to hear without missing any suspect engine noise nor any emergency vehicles that may be approaching. I only do this on highway jaunts and not around town.
Last edited by texas pinzgauer on Sun May 27, 2012 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Looking for next new (for me) toy
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 3094951494
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

I run a Rockford fosgate Punch Amp like this
it is extreamly small and pushes 400 watts. This into a small set of Pioneer box speakers mounted behind the seat.
I have it also wired to headphone jack I can plug into my phone with Pandora as well. Output can go to the speakers or I can plug it into my sterio intercom system so it pipes into the headsets
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

Personally, I would never feels safe driving around in a 37 yr. old military truck while NOT being able to hear the familiar and subtle knocks, whines, and grumbles that come from it, especially without a tachometer.
Often times, an odd sound is the first hint of something that could become a real problem if ignored.
The Pinzgauer is a very audio-centric vehicle. Go ahead and listen!
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

I actually found that I could hear the miscellaneous noises the pinz makes better with the Avcomm headsets on then the radio turned up loud enough to drowned out the pinz noises. The headsets cut out the really load noises so the little under lying noises were noticeable. I don't advise any new owner to run headphones until they are used to the sounds of the pinz but after a while you can quickly recognize the correct noises and the odd ones stand out.
djw
United States of America

Post by djw »

4x4Pinz wrote:I actually found that I could hear the miscellaneous noises the pinz makes better with the Avcomm headsets on then the radio turned up loud enough to drowned out the pinz noises. The headsets cut out the really load noises so the little under lying noises were noticeable. I don't advise any new owner to run headphones until they are used to the sounds of the pinz but after a while you can quickly recognize the correct noises and the odd ones stand out.
+1. For anything above about 35mph aviation headsets and intercom are the way to go for me. The plus side is that you can also pipe in music to most intercoms. Another plus is that many (at least the brand I use) is voltage tolerant anywhere between 11vdc and 34vdc. Nothing special, no special version needed, the pinz is nowhere as loud as a light plane anyway. I happen to use a Sigtronics portable intercom and the light Peltor headsets and can pipe in audio from players/phones, etc.

It is however odd to talk with a passenger or co-driver in a normal speaking voice :)
'74 710K (ÖBH Austrian Rehab) mostly unmolested original - the unicorn (everything works!)
collecting pinz docs since 2012 - pm me if I can help