Plastic Jerry Can

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
berger
Canada

Plastic Jerry Can

Post by berger »

I have a Plastic Nato style Jerry can from my Iltis that I would like to mount to the Pinz....perhaps inside...and I was wondering if anyone else has mounted something similar or has some suggestions on placement?

Can...

I would have to pick up a mount first....
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Re: Plastic Jerry Can

Post by 4x4Pinz »

I just make baskets out of 3/4 x 1/4 flat steel. As you can see I make them in different sizes depending on the need. I even use the same design for battery holders on other projects. I even incorporated it into a spare can carrier that hangs on the rear tire for when I want a little more fuel/water.
Attachments
101_2302 (Small).JPG
101_2302 (Small).JPG (77.21 KiB) Viewed 5995 times
100_3346 (Small).JPG
100_3346 (Small).JPG (64.09 KiB) Viewed 5997 times
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

Very nice!

Any issues with added weight on the rear door? I do see your door has been reinforced.
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Mine are on the inside. I had brackets made and mounted them between the windows on the left and right side. One for water and one for petrol.
sometimes when a long trip is happening both are petrol.

http://s400.photobucket.com/albums/pp88 ... C00105.jpg

Do previous and see some more photos.

edit: The plastic 'cans' are for water only. Never use them for petrol. If there was petrol used in them they are now worthless.
They leak and will cause you great amounts of distress if used for petrol. Use only Nato metal cans for petrol.
If you are in California or some other state that will not sell Nato cans, order them off Ebay or from one of the other members
that have some to sell. If the gasket has a depression in it remove it and turn it over for a better seal or get new ones.
Last edited by krick3tt on Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

I have actually removed weight from the rear door (lesson learned in my jeep days). The rear bumper and swing assembly is a result of wanting to get the tire off rear door and provide a place for water storage without taking up precious interior room. To door top is something I made when I enclosed my 712M, mocked up after a K's rear upper. The rear door swings and shuts better than ever before.
wudog

Post by wudog »

I hope you don't use those plastic cans for petrol. If so, mount them outside your vehicle. These plastic jerry cans leaks, and fumes also. Many experiences with them recently ( and they are new US issued ). Just from MY experiences from DOWN RANGE, don't use for petrol/diesel. Good for water thats all. Stay with the metal original jerry can.

V/R
David
USA, Love it or leave, stop bitching.
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

wudog wrote:I hope you don't use those plastic cans for petrol. If so, mount them outside your vehicle. These plastic jerry cans leaks, and fumes also. Many experiences with them recently ( and they are new US issued ). Just from MY experiences from DOWN RANGE, don't use for petrol/diesel. Good for water thats all. Stay with the metal original jerry can.

V/R
David
Hey David.

I haven't had any issues with them leaking, but I see your point. The Canadian Military does mount them on the outside of their vehicles. I do have the metal can, I just had this one lying around and it "looks the part," so I figured I would mount it too.
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

my plastic ones drip a little water when being bounced around on the trail also. The only plastic ones I have are marked for water only. I am guessing they must make a unit that is rated for fuel since you have expressed the concern. Still it is hard to beat the original fuel can, just be careful opening it after it has been bounced around on the trail. :oops:
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

4x4Pinz wrote:my plastic ones drip a little water when being bounced around on the trail also. The only plastic ones I have are marked for water only. I am guessing they must make a unit that is rated for fuel since you have expressed the concern. Still it is hard to beat the original fuel can, just be careful opening it after it has been bounced around on the trail. :oops:
Do you use the proper NATO style pour spout with the metal can?
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

I have been waiting for someone to raise the safety issue. Vapors only need a spark to ignite (something as simple as a switch turned on) in an enclosed area.

As far as the plastic jerry cans go, there are 2 styles. The ones for water are marked and have a single grab handle and are slightly larger that the fuel cans (they don't fit in the full frame jerry can holders). The ones for fuel have the triple bar handle and marked for fuel. These are not legal for commercial sale in the US, as they aren't CARB compliant, which is now the EPA standard.

I used a Euro jerry can for gas on my trip to Death Valley last year. My concern was expansion where the temps went from the 60's to 115ish. Each time I check the can, there was always a considerable release of pressure.
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

David Dunn wrote:I have been waiting for someone to raise the safety issue. Vapors only need a spark to ignite (something as simple as a switch turned on) in an enclosed area.

As far as the plastic jerry cans go, there are 2 styles. The ones for water are marked and have a single grab handle and are slightly larger that the fuel cans (they don't fit in the full frame jerry can holders). The ones for fuel have the triple bar handle and marked for fuel. These are not legal for commercial sale in the US, as they aren't CARB compliant, which is now the EPA standard.

I used a Euro jerry can for gas on my trip to Death Valley last year. My concern was expansion where the temps went from the 60's to 115ish. Each time I check the can, there was always a considerable release of pressure.
The one I have is marked fuel. I just read this...

* Military Fuel containers and accessories not for sale outside Canada

They are used by the Military, that I am sure. I guess an outside mount is best.
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

on the metal cans for fuel I just use a jerk tube. I have the original spout but it takes time to get out of the box and the hose is as easy and much quicker. The water cans I also just use a siphon tube as most of the water used is for washing hands or dishes. When I am dumping water on the fires there is no need for a spout.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Just look at the handles... a triple is for fuel and a single is for water.... so easy a blind man can tell... :wink:

The Euro tanks have internal breathers for smooth pouring with the spout.
But care must be taken, as there is manufacturing differences between countries and spouts don't work well between them

As a sidenote: All my British MV's have slideout extensions with screens on the filler neck so fuel can be added directly from the can
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

so the manufacturer miss marked this one and miss stamped it on the side?????
Attachments
water jug (Small).jpg
water jug (Small).jpg (62.08 KiB) Viewed 5912 times
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

I believe that style can is still marketed in other countries, just not for gas here. I saw some for sale here, on ebay recently, and they were green and marked for "water" only, with sort of a wink, wink implied I thought.