GPS Speedo

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
Mr Zero
United States of America

Re: GPS Speedo

Post by Mr Zero »

John L wrote:Cool find. But, it only operates off of 12v... I guess you hook it up to a converter or step down?
The Speedhut unit works like a charm. I installed the $10 DROK 3A 24v to 12v step-down converter below to achieve the required 12v.

Jason @battlebornpinzgauer
[1975 Pinzgauer 710K 2.7L EFI, 1972 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder]
John L
United States of America

Post by John L »

I'm sold! How did you make the install? It appears that our dash hole is 3 5/8 and this one is 3 3/8. Did you have any issues putting it in or making it stay in place? Did you need a spacer or have to make something to get it to fit correctly? Just curious. I'm thinking of ordering your set up. I especially like how you can customize the face plate. Pretty cool!
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Very cool!
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

Mr Zero
United States of America

Post by Mr Zero »

John L wrote:How did you make the install? It appears that our dash hole is 3 5/8 and this one is 3 3/8. Did you have any issues putting it in or making it stay in place? Did you need a spacer or have to make something to get it to fit correctly?
The Speedhut unit is 84mm to our 86mm mounting hole. It felt like a perfect fit to me and didn't require any spacers to fit the space. There were a couple of small snaggles:
  • 1) The lip of the fiberglass shroud against which the dash panel fits comes up right to the back edge of the mounting hole. This needs to be trimmed to allow the speedometer mounting ring to tighten flush against the back of the dash panel.

2) The knurls of the speedometer mounting ring don't quite clear the welded mounting nut for the steering column pad which sits just below the speedometer mounting hole. The easy fix here is to grind about half the length of the knurls on the mounting ring.
As for the wiring and the 24v to 12v downstep converter I'll use the speedometer diagram as a basis and upload a complete wiring diagram when I return from OX West next week.
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

They also offer a version with a domed front glass (less reflection of your face when you look in it) which uses a remotely mounted selection switch which could be installed in the hole where the original came out of...

http://www.speedhut.com/images/window/remote_button.jpg

They even offer built in turn signal indicators and high beam for those making up a custom dash.

Very nice...
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
Mr Zero
United States of America

Post by Mr Zero »

As promised here is the modified installation schematic using two 24v to 12v 3a/5a converters. PM me if image fails to display properly for you.

I used a 3a 24v to 12v converter similar to the one shown below. I purchased it from Amazon for ~$14.

Last edited by Mr Zero on Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buzz
United States of America

Post by Buzz »

Thanks for posting this! One more item to add to my goodies list!
"It's as stupid and wonderful as owning a pet elephant."
1974 Pinzgauer 710M
1990 Puch G Wagon 230 GE