MegaSquirt EFI install

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
spandit

Re: MegaSquirt EFI install

Post by spandit »

Well, tried something a bit different today!

Took the balance pipe, between the intakes, off and replaced it with two fuel injectors, plumbed into the high pressure fuel system (that is now controlled by the Megasquirt ECU). The throttle linkages and return springs were removed from the carbs and the throttles were jammed open.

The existing air plenum had a BMW throttle body fitted onto it:

With some MASSIVELY dodgy wiring (I'm using domestic screw terminal blocks to make things easier before it's all in place and ready to be crimped/waterproofed), got the TPS, IAT and CHT rigged up (CHT is measured using a EPCOS B57560G103F thermistor, JB Welded into a brass fitting that is bolted behind the Cyl #4 bolt):

Pressed the button and to my surprise, it fired up! With a bit of fiddling with the laptop, actually got it idling pretty well at one stage, although did have a massive cloud of oily smoke coming from the exhaust on one occasion. The great thing is that you can hear the ECU trying to stop the engine stalling and it idles much better than it did on the carbs (from cold, anyway).

Of course, I have a lot of tuning to do (haven't got round to fitting the proper carb replacements yet) but it's an encouraging start and once I've rigged up a throttle linkage, I should at least be able to move her around in the front yard :D
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)
Stekay
United States of America

Post by Stekay »

drilling an angled hole through an angled face
Just drill a spot face (with a larger drill bit) perpendicular to the face using a 90 deg tipped drill bit. You now have a flat 45 degree surface on which to start your angle drilled hole.
'76 710K
spandit

Post by spandit »

That's a superb tip! Just trying to pin down my tame welder...
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
spandit

Post by spandit »

Just had contact from tame welder and he's finished sticking my bits together:

These are the boxes that will be replacing the carbs but retaining the top air plenum

Going to collect them later this week so I can really make some progress now! Have been a bit slack with all the rain we've had as not really conducive to working on the car without cover.
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
spandit

Post by spandit »

Bolted in place (with some tape over the inlet holes to stop bolts etc. dropping into the engine):

Injectors trial fitted but not decided how to secure them yet...

--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

How confident are you that you won't have a vacuum leak at the joint to the air plenum?
Jim M.
712W and 710M
spandit

Post by spandit »

Jimm391730 wrote:How confident are you that you won't have a vacuum leak at the joint to the air plenum?
The tops of the injector housings have precision machined round fittings that fit into the original seals (which are brand new, as it happens)

If you mean the flange fitting at the top of the box section then I've yet to fit a seal there. Using the bottle screw I've fitted in place of the eye bolt and cam means I can get much more downwards pressure on the whole assembly - it certainly feels pretty rigid. I might need to wire lock it in place to stop it vibrating free whilst driving but that's not a problem
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
spandit

Post by spandit »

After a long break, I've finally got my fuel rails back from the welder!

--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition