Maxtrax

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
pcolette
United States of America

Maxtrax

Post by pcolette »

I recently picked up a pair of the Maxtrax ramps after trying the Smittybilt Element ramps.
First use of the Element ramps caused a number of the plastic traction knobs to break off or crack. I wasn't using them with the Pinz but with a pickup that was stuck in snow. Possibly the severe cold we were having had something to do with the plastic failing but Smittybilt didn't offer a temperature range, rather just saying they were good in snow.

I haven't tried the Maxtrax yet, which by the way are twice the price of the Element ramps for reasons unclear to me so far. I look at them like auto insurance - hopefully I won't need to use them.

Anyway, for those of you also contemplating buying them, I found a nice way to mount them and thought I'd share:
IMG_2165.jpg
IMG_2165.jpg (50.46 KiB) Viewed 7038 times
IMG_2164.jpg
IMG_2164.jpg (47.65 KiB) Viewed 7038 times
The knobs with bolts and the rubber vibration insulators came from McMaster. The knobs are aluminum and have 10mm X 76mm threaded rods attached and fit right into the existing spots on the bulkhead where the 10mm bolts are stored for removing the brake drums. I plan to put some rubber anti-skid strips under the ramps just to keep any possible rattles quieted.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
Garrycol
Australia

Re: Maxtrax

Post by Garrycol »

If you spin your tyres on Maxtrax the knobs will get torn off. So slowly with minimum power is the way to go. Also the truck will bury them when exiting your bog so make sure you have brightly coloured recovery lines attached to them so you can go back and find them. Also if there is a long to drive out of the bog before you can safely stop then tie the Maxtrak to you vehicle so they are pulled behind as you exit.

I use the bright orange coloured Maxtrak to assist in finding them after a recovery.

Garry
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6
1971 Jaguar Series 3 E-Type Conv
1957 Landrover 88" Station Wagon
1957 Landrover 88"
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Very nice installation Paul

I bought a set of the Smittybilt ones last year. Haven’t used them yet ( and hopefully never :lol: ) for my gentleman’s offroader
But I also got them for Death Valley… not quite as cold as you get there. :roll:
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Wait... There are bolts in the bulkhead for removing the brake drums??? 5 years and 3 pinz later, I had no idea.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

audiocontr wrote:Wait... There are bolts in the bulkhead for removing the brake drums??? 5 years and 3 pinz later, I had no idea.
Newbie ... :roll:
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

The good part is that you only need two, save the other two for spares.
Kind of like that metal plate in the tool cabinet that goes under the jack when you are in sand or loose soil so the jack doesn't sink. :lol:
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
crcpinz

Post by crcpinz »

I don't have any drum bolts or metal plate on my K. I guess they're only an M thing. :(
Si vis pacem, para bellum
1976 710K
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000163282080
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Very nice install
Thanks for sharing as that is. Great idea and method of mounting!
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Post by McCall Pinz »

Really nice attention to detail. Do you have pictures of the rest of the truck?
eat, sleep, Pinzgauer
ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Post by ScottishPinz »

Where are the brake drum bolts stored on a K as they are not on the bulkhead?
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

I did not have any on my M so I bought two bolts and I keep them in my tool kit.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Thanks for all the comments!

Garrycol - I think that spinning the tires may have caused the breakage on the Smittybilt ramps. The Maxtrax instructions and video clearly say NOT to spin the tires. Wish I'd been more aware of that before I helped out my neighbor. :( The Smittybilts are still useable, just not complete.

krick3tt - I never thought of that use for the metal plate - thanks!

McCall Pinz - some more photos are here: https://plus.google.com/photos/10980033 ... 9553?hl=en
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
Squiggas

Post by Squiggas »

ScottishPinz wrote:Where are the brake drum bolts stored on a K as they are not on the bulkhead?
I don't know if there are any specifically for that purpose. The ones on the side aerial mounts do the job.
spandit

Post by spandit »

They're standard M10 coarse bolts that screw into threaded inserts in the drum. If these are missing, don't try using an M12 coarse bolt as it has the wrong pitch
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)
Squiggas

Post by Squiggas »

spandit wrote:They're standard M10 coarse bolts that screw into threaded inserts in the drum. If these are missing, don't try using an M12 coarse bolt as it has the wrong pitch
An M12 bolt won't fit into an M10 hole regardless of pitch. The bolts on the top of the side aerial mounts definitely work. My brakes failed when I was halfway up a mountain and I had to search the vehicle for a way to remove the dums. Those bolts did the job perfectly. I didn't use the bolts that secure the mounts to the vehicle - I used the bolts on the top of the mounts.