Exhaust flanges

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
spandit

Re: Exhaust flanges

Post by spandit »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361511297.258370.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361511297.258370.jpg (54.09 KiB) Viewed 4895 times
Hopefully that goes some way to explaining it...
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

don't know that it makes a difference but with your added flange the headers become one solid unit. With the original flex system they are two separate items. With the flex kit sold by the dealers the headers can move independent of each other even though they are tied together (after the flexes).
PhilH

Post by PhilH »

Anyone have knowledge/experience on the exhaust flanges that are made with the braided metal hose...not the flex pipe? My "exhaust man" has these and will sell/install it for around $180. If they don't work as good as the flex pipe, though, please share your thoughts.

PHIL
'74 710m
M101A2 Trailer
'69 Firebird Convertible
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

seems there were some made years ago with the braided pipe. Did not hold up well. You have to be careful on the flex pipe. The pipe that is used in the SAV kit is double lock whereas the pipe from the local parts store is only single lock. Looks similar but does not hold up very long at all. The pipe that is on the SAV kit is very pricey to buy when you can find it. I ended up just getting the kits for my trucks as it was way easier and cheaper than just doing one or two for my personal vehicles.
spandit

Post by spandit »

4x4Pinz wrote:don't know that it makes a difference but with your added flange the headers become one solid unit. With the original flex system they are two separate items. With the flex kit sold by the dealers the headers can move independent of each other even though they are tied together (after the flexes).
Not exactly, they're still afforded a bit of movement but with the cylinders bolted up tight & the headers too is there really that much movement?
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
PhilH

Post by PhilH »

4x4Pinz wrote:seems there were some made years ago with the braided pipe. Did not hold up well. You have to be careful on the flex pipe. The pipe that is used in the SAV kit is double lock whereas the pipe from the local parts store is only single lock. Looks similar but does not hold up very long at all. The pipe that is on the SAV kit is very pricey to buy when you can find it. I ended up just getting the kits for my trucks as it was way easier and cheaper than just doing one or two for my personal vehicles.
Thanks for the thoughts. I will wait until SAV replenishes their stock and purchase from them.

PHIL
'74 710m
M101A2 Trailer
'69 Firebird Convertible
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Over three years and doing well.
Attachments
flex.JPG
flex.JPG (46.61 KiB) Viewed 4809 times
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
SAM. C.

Post by SAM. C. »

Hi All

I have installed two of the SAV flex-pipe kits and found them both to be barely long enough. The last one I installed even when cranked up tight kept slipping off the manifold pipes when I did some off roading as the clamps were located right over the end of the manifold pipes. I ended up taking it off and getting the sleeve section extended by 20mm at a local exhaust shop. Used some high temp silicone to seal the joint and it was much improved.

I have also had a custom braided one made a while ago and it worked well.

Sam
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Not being familiar with the fitment, can the heat exchanger be moved forward to compensate for the shortened flex?
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

krick3tt wrote:Not being familiar with the fitment, can the heat exchanger be moved forward to compensate for the shortened flex?
No, the mount above the heat exchanger is not really adjustable fore and aft. It allows the exchanger to rock slightly to compensate for slight differences in flange alignment with the muffler or the headers but that's about it.

As I remember the last time I installed the SAV kit, the flex pipes are extendable somewhat but it takes a lot of effort because of how heavy duty they are. Mine finally went on far enough over the header ends but it took some work.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
SAM. C.

Post by SAM. C. »

Hi Paul

I tried that but when the pipes are stretched like that they become awfully stiff.

With the pipes resting neither stretched or compressed I think this solution is nowhere near as flexible as the original system, and I have wondered about the increased strain on the manifold pies and what that might do in the long term.

Still when I installed it I stopped feeling dizzy with the the exhaust fumes!

Sam
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Hi Sam,
Yes, I also remember thinking the flex tubes were stiff when I installed them. My first set I put on in 2007 and here's a photo of how they look today:
IMG_2185.jpg
IMG_2185.jpg (60.15 KiB) Viewed 4709 times
They've held up well for over 5 years and I haven't noticed any issues (knock on wood!). My engine does run very smooth so I'm sure that helps avoid any stress on the header pipes.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

I had mine welded on by a muffler shop when I had them change out the muffler. No issues sine '05
spandit

Post by spandit »

To clarify on my horrible drawing, here's a horrible photo:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362406387.045728.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362406387.045728.jpg (45.33 KiB) Viewed 4649 times
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition