Exhaust flanges

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
spandit

Exhaust flanges

Post by spandit »

Thinking of getting a load cut from stainless - anyone interested?

I'm thinking of unbolting the flange from the heat exchanger and fitting those cups directly to the manifold, which will leave me with space to fit a new flexible portion between two flanges. The flange is the same size as the rear box so could be used for making your own muffler
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)
westernair
United States of America

Re: Exhaust flanges

Post by westernair »

I am a bit cofused to what you are actually planning to do and what you are offering to the group.
Are you going to have ss flanges made that you are going to market, or are you going to make ss flex hose available to others that want to weld perminate flanges in?
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
spandit

Post by spandit »

I am proposing getting a batch of flanges cut that people could use to make their own mufflers etc. as they'll bolt right onto the heat exchanger
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Still confused...pictures are worth a lot. If there are mufflers available why make them? Just to be creative?
I would think the flex adapter would be more in demand, I know I could use one.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

This flange?
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

This is available from SAV...http://www.pinzgauer.com/showdetails.ph ... no=SAV6894
Where does your part fit in?
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

I recently purchased one of these from SAV as my original one from Scott at EI finnaly went out.
The one I purchased was flanged the same size as the deaders and would not slip on. I spent several hours trying to expand it so it would fit. I ended up just cutting the ends off and welding the ones that Scott had provided on the last one.
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
spandit

Post by spandit »

krick3tt wrote:This is available from SAV...http://www.pinzgauer.com/showdetails.ph ... no=SAV6894
Where does your part fit in?
That part requires modification to the manifolds. Mine is as follows (and I don't have pictures yet):

The stock exhaust manifold has "piston rings" on the end that fit into a sleeve. That sleeve has similar rings on the other end that fit into a socket on the heat exchanger.

By unbolting this "socket" (pair of) and removing the sleeves, you are left with the manifolds (with piston rings). By then sliding the socket directly onto these rings, you are left with a gap (of about 135mm, from memory) between 2 flanges.

My part would simply bolt in place and consist of 2 flanges with flexible tube in between
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Please remember, the engine moves on the rubber engine mounts, so the two sets of rings and sleeves in series allow the motor/exhaust manifold to move fore and aft (slipping the sleeves) as well as up and down and left and right. If you remove the rearmost flex point then all that remains is the fore and aft movement of the one ring/sleeve at the end of the manifold. Left/right or up/down motion can't happen anymore. This may cause breakage of the manifold, manifold studs, or heat exchanger mount -- none of which you will enjoy paying to be repaired.

I have installed the flex couplings (from SAV) on both my trucks and have never looked back; no more backfiring and much more quiet. In both my trucks I did not have to remove the ring holders from the manifolds; there was enough length of manifold to just clamp the flex coupling to the end.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
spandit

Post by spandit »

Read my post. It will be made of flexible tube. If anything, it will be more flexible than yours
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Then please make one and post a picture of it and some specs. All this back and forth is going nowhere and there seems to be a lot of misinformation about a
what-if sort of thing. If it is going to be more flexible than what exists..how will it be accomplished? Where does it attach and how? Please show us what you have in mind
and if it as good or better and less cost then you will have dipped into a pot of gold to supply a part for these aging vehicles.

Happy trails
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Yup if you do a quick sketch it would let people know
I think your basically making a similar product to the SAV but slightly different design and attachment
If so I may be interested as well
We will wait for some sort of design drawing/sketch
Cheers,
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Robin, will these have been tested on a Pinz prior to shipping?
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Read my post. It will be made of flexible tube. If anything, it will be more flexible than yours
Yup, my bad. I miss one word and it makes me look like an idiot!

But I also would love to see a sketch of what you propose; now I'm still not sure I understand what your system would look like.

Best of luck and congrats for having the gumption to do it.

Jim
Jim M.
712W and 710M
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

Now just come up with a stainless steel heat exchanger to mate with EI's new SS muffler and our exhaust worries are over!