My new bumper

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
berger
Canada

My new bumper

Post by berger »

I have been kicking tires for a while now, looking for the right bumper at the right price. I could have gone local, but cost would have been around the same, if not more, not to mention it would have been a lot of dry fitting. That being g said, shipping can be expensive if I go abroad.

Well, I decided on a bumper from Tim in AZ. The style is what I wanted, they get great reviews, the price was right and Tim was great to deal with.

I touched up the primer, then hit it with undercoat paint.
uploadfromtaptalk1379366179873.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1379366179873.jpg (194.48 KiB) Viewed 6054 times
I have a couple of other protective devices from Tim I need to install too. :D

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
audiocontr
United States of America

Re: My new bumper

Post by audiocontr »

very nice!
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Very nice bumper! Same one I have on my '73.

I found some plastic caps at the hardware to fit the bolt access holes to keep the dirt out.
IMG_0566.jpg
IMG_0566.jpg (45.27 KiB) Viewed 6038 times
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
waterdog
Paraguay

Post by waterdog »

neat... 8)
1985 710MS
1985 712MK
1988 PAJERO CAMEL SPECIAL 042/150
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

I hadn't thought about using undercoat paint. Mine needs re-coating and I may give it a try. What kind did you use?
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

Just a "premium" product at Canadian Tire. Probably a rebranded in house brand. I have used it successfully before.

I noticed you have shackles or d-rings on the bumper. Is the attachment strong enough to pull the truck? I always used the pintle.

Last edited by berger on Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

berger wrote:Just a "premium" product at Canadian Tire. Probably a rebranded in house brand. I have used it successfully before.

I noticed you have shackles or d-ringd on the bumper. Is the attachment string enough to pull the truck? I always used the pintle.

Would depend the attachment string, I'd be more inclined to use a recovery strap. :lol: got to love "smart phone" typing :roll:
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

edzz wrote:
berger wrote:Just a "premium" product at Canadian Tire. Probably a rebranded in house brand. I have used it successfully before.

I noticed you have shackles or d-rings on the bumper. Is the attachment strong enough to pull the truck? I always used the pintle.

Would depend the attachment string, I'd be more inclined to use a recovery strap. :lol: got to love "smart phone" typing :roll:
There, I fixed it okay! :mrgreen:
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Why is there not a cut out in bumper so you can still use the front pin?
Seems Wierd to just block it?
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

berger wrote: I noticed you have shackles or d-rings on the bumper. Is the attachment strong enough to pull the truck? I always used the pintle.
I haven't had a need to try them yet but they certainly seem strong enough and the bumper is well anchored to the frame.
TechMOGogy wrote:Why is there not a cut out in bumper so you can still use the front pin?
I'm guessing that a cut out would compromise the strength of this particular design. I have a second bumper coming from Andre (Fat Fabrications) which is similar in design but as I recall allows access to the pin.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

TechMOGogy wrote:Why is there not a cut out in bumper so you can still use the front pin?
I am not concerned. Ultimately I will have a winch mount plate made up and added to the bumper. The main reason was what I could afford, the style, and strength. There is no way this will curl on the sides and damage the nose of the truck. :D
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

I do like the design
I am going to try the internal re-enforcement and see if I can beef up the stock bumper first
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

I have had Tim's bumpers on both my 710 and 712. The bullbars on the front will take all the truck can handle. I use shackles to attach any type of recovery equipment, even when I used to use the front pin. There is no real need for the front pin and opening up access to it is just a waste of time. With the front opened up you could only push a trailer straight back which would defeat the use of the pin. Anytime you cut the main member of a bumper it will compromise the maximum strength of the bumper. Tim looked at boxing in the opening but the time it would take to do it right versus the benefit was just not there. Get a couple shackles (which you should already have anyway) and move on. I have a tow bar design that would attach to the two shackle points that would allow flat towing the pinz in an emergency but just never have gotten around to building it.