A proper car audio system

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
audiocontr
United States of America

A proper car audio system

Post by audiocontr »

Over coffee this morning, I began to think about a more traditional car audio system applied to the Pinz, and some of the major challenges. This post does not contain a solution to those challenges (yet), but through occasional discussion, and trial and error, might get pretty close.

Let me first state that this topic is an oxymoron in itself. The pinz is far from optimal, and was never designed for such a task. "Proper" is also in the eye of the beholder as we define what's acceptable person to person. The paradigm may be completely fine for 99% of the population, and you probably feel this effort is futile. Id ask to hold those comments and ignore this thread if thats the case. That being said, and as my username hints towards, I have a long history to electronics and audio systems. What I've accepted is almost embarrassing compared to systems built for others. I'm giving thought to improving the situation.

For now, I'll keep things simple, and take it in steps. Lets assume the vehicle is not moving. lets assume the doors and windows are on and closed. Assume the canvas is closed. First two goals:

1) full range of audio spectrum. This means larger speakers and/or adding a subwoofer. I'm not concerned with volume, SPL will be considered later. This is easily accomplished, though I have to give thought of how to optimally accomplish.

2) move the staging forward of the driver and passenger. Looks like I already broke my simple rule. This has been my major frustration since day 1 of a stereo in th pinz. When I'm at a performance, the sound comes in font of me. Majority of movie content comes from in front of me. Majority of stereos are in front, but we accept audio from behind. I need to fix this. So for now, I'd like to hear your ideas for locating speakers in front of the driving position instead of above or behind.

Thoughts?
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Re: A proper car audio system

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

From experience I know that getting the gear/engine noise levels way down from stock levels have to be figured into any audio plan and have to be the priority.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

:arrow: Lets assume the vehicle is not moving :lol:
Couldn't resist!
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Post by McCall Pinz »

I'll play. The doors below the window get too wet inmo to install any speakers. Some small surface mount tweeters could be added with double stick tape at the outside corners below the windshield glass.
eat, sleep, Pinzgauer
Stekay
United States of America

Post by Stekay »

Short of building out the front of the roof, I think ducting the sound forward from maybe behind the seats would be a way to get full range (<80Hz). Just thinking out loud. (pun intended).
'76 710K
milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

When I was thinking of a stereo install, I was looking at a component speaker set with crossovers. The bass components were going to be mounted into the wind tunnel with backing covers, mid range would go into the doors and tweeters were to be surface mounted on the driver dash and the passenger glove box.

Of course I have since decided I really don't need a radio in the Pinz when driving due to the noise, and I will use a portable radio when camping out in the back.

Miles
Lots of Pinz pictures here.......
http://picasaweb.google.com/pinzgauer.depository.1

'73 Pinzgauer 712M
Grog the Mog

Post by Grog the Mog »

I have seen inside roof mount units for jeeps and tractors that are self contained as one unit. Not sure of audio quality but probably a moot point in a pinz but it does put the speakers right over you head. Joe
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Aim rear speakers at the front glass to "bounce" the sound towards you?
Install flat speakers somewhere in front?
Buy a battery powered bluetooth speaker(s) and mount above dash?
In many cars the bulk of the sound comes from the rear and just some of the sound comes form the front it seems.
I always find larger speakers in the rear bouncing off the rear glass and the front speakers always seem to be smaller and in the foot well where the sound is lost.
Perhaps just some speakers behind the seats and then some small tweeters on the dash?
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

I'm not sure about proper but here's what I'm doing. Installed a 24v to 12 v 800watt converter behind pass seat with a 12v acc/lighter plug, and a 4 channel 50w rms x 4 alpine i had laying around. Next i built some 18g steel speaker boxes for some 5 1/4 infinity component speakers sealed with dynamat and painted olive drab (close enough for now) and mounted the tweeters right above the windshield bolts on a steel tab. Ran the fronts on the 1 and 2 channel bridged on high pass and 3 and 4 channel are gonna run an 8"/10" sub that ill be installing tomorrow for the lows. here's a few pics of what I've done so far.

Gonna trim the corner of both boxes when done so there are no knee dings. More pics as i progress.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

That looks like it will end up as a nice setup!
I like how you mached the angles when mounting the front speakers (assume by the black marker your going to remove the sharp knee killer corners?)
Once your done can you post a close up of the tweeters/mount - they look really nice and if painted would disappear.
Cheers,
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Knee killers aren't as bad as they look but want to make it look like it came that way as much as possible! more pics to come.
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Here's a couple pics with me in the truck so you can see knee space and shifter is in 4th. Gonna Trim boxes 1 1/4 inch.

Ok so i made a temp mock up sealed sub box to see what i could get away with regarding size and if that small 4 channel amp would have enough power. The 10" Kicker sub i had is a bit deep (4.5")so its a mock up as well.

with Scatt/Procar ralley seat pulled and reclined all the way back

Test results: Had to turn gain on front speakers all the way down to hear the sub with engine off with engine on its a joke = Need more power!
Picked up a Fosgate Amp and 10"sub. I chose the Amp for its size and power 8.5 x 7.5 x2 inches and 300w rms @ 4ohms (500w@2ohm)
The Fosgate 10" sub matches the Amp perfectly and is only 3.5"deep

The Amp will be mounted against the driver side panel next to the kill switch. More pics and results to come!
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Could you not cut the lower part off and make it more like this?
Would gain a couple of inches possibly
Will be interested in your results once you have it all together
12-4-2013 9-52-46 AM.png
12-4-2013 9-52-46 AM.png (311.09 KiB) Viewed 7074 times
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Current concerns? You're drawing a lot of amperage to run both amps.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

TechMOGogy wrote:Could you not cut the lower part off and make it more like this?
Would gain a couple of inches possibly
Will be interested in your results once you have it all together
12-4-2013 9-52-46 AM.png
That pic is with legs spread (lol) gonna stick with just the corners or it would be a nasty wedge.

So I poop can the idea of the sub being behind the seat, sounded like crap.. not enough air space. I threw a 12"sub in a 1cu ft box i already had and put in the back facing the driver. Sounds bitchen! 40watts per channel to the front and 300w to the sub peak, although i'll be listening at about 50% of max vol.
Sound balances out nice but over 55 mph the bass drowns out a bit.... expected! I'll be be doing a few more things, couple more speakers, cleaning wireing etc. but got the results I wanted for now! :)