Trail Ready Beadlock Wheels

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
Yannick

Re: Trail Ready Beadlock Wheels

Post by Yannick »

Awesome wheels, strongest on market!
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

They have 6" backspacing and are 17x8.5 so they stick out around 2.5" further than stock.
They look great!
When I had my wheels rebuilt (re banded for a wider tire and turned on a lathe using the original wheel center to keep the original offset), I was told that the bearings
would be damaged if I changed the offset. Does anyone have experience with changing the wheel offset and bearing problems?
Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

Dean in Big Bear used to use wheel spacers on his 712m. He keeps taking out Steering boxes due to the added leverage created by the spacers.(3 i know of)
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
compunerdy
United States of America

Post by compunerdy »

Updated pics of finished and installed wheel. I had to powder coat my lugnuts as the ones used where not available in black. I added a TPMS system as well that is tied into the reverse camera monitor.
I got the bolts plated in the olive drab chromate but they look like all of the yellow chromate was not removed but they still look better than shiny yellow..

Tim
1975 710K
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

Looking good - I don't think these have that much different of a backspacing - do they? Curious to see what they look like when the truck is on the ground from the front and rear views.
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

It almost looks as if you could re-orient the wheel on the hub so the brake adjusting port might be accessible with the wheel on? That would be handy if you didn't need to remove the wheel to tighten the brakes.
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

undysworld wrote:It almost looks as if you could re-orient the wheel on the hub so the brake adjusting port might be accessible with the wheel on? That would be handy if you didn't need to remove the wheel to tighten the brakes.

Good eye. Looks like re clocking these wheels would work out well. Nice looking wheels.

Just a reminder for anyone thinking of boring a brake adjustment access hole in stock wheels, it's been tried before with bad results. Seems the wheel becomes prone to cracking.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Had not thought of putting a hole in the wheel for adjusting the brakes. Removing the wheel/tire and drum allows inspection of the interior of the assembly.
Makes for a better view of the components for possible wear issues and inspection of the brake shoes. Before I learned that there were two adjustments of
the shoes I was only doing one and the shoes were wearing unevenly.
I had been using the past adjustment procedures for US type brakes on vehicles I had. Big mistake.
I had found serious mud and debris in there at my first removal of the drum. Mud leads to rust, rust to many problems.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
compunerdy
United States of America

Post by compunerdy »

Once I have all 4 mounted and get the rebuilt carbs installed, etc I will get some better pictures.
Tim
1975 710K
HawaiianGauer

Post by HawaiianGauer »

[quote="compunerdy"]Here are some pics of the Beadlock wheels I am installing. They have 6" backspacing and are 17x8.5 so they stick out around 2.5" further than stock.

Ok a couple of dumb questions if I may...could these same tires be mounted on the stock rims? I'm not tracking on how the 6" backspacing works...can you try to explain? I'm looking for the same end state: tires that stick out from the vehicle a little bit more than the stock tires do.

Thanks!

x
Mahalo for your assistance!

Harry X.
73 'Gauer 712M

check out the X-Gauer in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYj_UNQDgpM
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

Ummm... its not the tires that make them stick out - its the different rims...

These rims are 17 inch - but you can get about the same tire in a 16 inch rim size. These fit on the pinz with no modifications required (except to your wallet).

The backspacing is the distance from the mounting surface of the rim (where it touches the brakedrum) to the ground when the rim is laying face up. These rims are wider than the stock ones - so the backspacing needs to be more to make them fit "centered". Overall I think this is a good compromise for use with taller tires as the wheel does need to stick out slightly more as the tire gets taller to keep the tires "contact patch" with the ground centered on the line which goes through the front steering kingpins to the ground. These tires are about 2 inches taller than the original Mayola tires.

Hard to tell from the photos but I think they are a pretty good match.
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
compunerdy
United States of America

Post by compunerdy »

There are a few reasons I went with the new rims...

1. A 17" rim will make it easier to go to a disc brake setup if I decide to in the future.

2. The stock rims are made for tubed tires and non tubed tires cannot safely be ran at low pressure due to small lips. (info posted on here)

3. I wanted to try out bead locked wheels. These wheels can be used as non bead locked wheels by the way as there is a standard outer lip just behind where the tire normally sits now. You just need different rings that have a spacer to fill the gap.
Tim
1975 710K
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

Just digging into this thread after seeing these posted on the most recent "tires and rims" discussion. How have you faired with these? Any drawbacks or stresses on the rest of the truck due to the offset? If you're happy with these, I think I will strongly consider some for myself. I've always preferred to have a wider stance, maybe just for the comfort/illusion of stability. Let me know your thoughts!

tx Dave
1972 710m
bikmakr
United States of America

Post by bikmakr »

Great looking set-up. In California, real bead-locks are illegal on the highway. Is it so in other states? Maybe your intent is trail only?
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Perhaps they are illegal but I will be willing to bet that no one really looks that closely at an old military vehicle, even in CA. I ran NATO petrol cans in and on my pinz for years and never a whimper of anything from the LEOS and they were not red but OD. If you respect the speed limit :roll: and do not give grief to people you may not have any issues.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford