Winch bumper

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
Yannick

Winch bumper

Post by Yannick »

Started on the winch bumper today, 3/8 plate center section and 2"x 4"x 3/16 rectangular tubing. Not Done yet but here are some pics.

next stage will be bracing below center of bumper, add some tubing and some kind of bolt on/pivot onto the rails.
Haf-e
United States of America

Re: Winch bumper

Post by Haf-e »

One issue to consider- i think you planned on connecting the bunper to.the side rails- thats not a good idea as the body tub is rubber mounted while the front bumper is hard mounted to the drivetrain.

I always thought of making a front windshield roll.bar hoop which was attached to the body that would be connected to the rub rails with the bumper separate.
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

It looks as though you have left the pin accessible. That's a good thing for many reasons.
Good looking build.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

The pin looks accessible but the winch is to close to the grill to use one if I'm not mistaken.
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

When I installed the bumper from EI with winch the pin could not be used as it would not turn to be released.
I filed off the tab so the pin would lift straight up so I could use it for a tow point.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

I'm leaving the pin opening accessible for future but cannot use pin, wanted winch as tight and low as possible! I haven't decide as to how I'm gonna connect to rails but I'll probably use some kind of urethane bushing something... whatever's laying round the shop!
The Winch is a new in the box Smitty built x2o 8000 12v (made in China) which was given to me by a friend who worked at 4wheelparts , so I cant complain!
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

how are you going to supply 12v power? you know center taping the 24v pack is a very bad idea.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

edzz wrote:how are you going to supply 12v power? you know center taping the 24v pack is a very bad idea.
I'm full of bad ideas but thanks! It's what i have for now and the bolt pattern is standard so good mock up at the very least.
On the other hand we'll see how tough this Chinese winch is... I'm not scared
Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

instead of cutting the locking pin off the stock one, I make a new pin with the same locking pin but a smaller hoop handle to use while the winch is in place.

As far as 12v goes, he can always pack an independent battery for winching and accessories for a while.
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Yannick wrote:
edzz wrote:how are you going to supply 12v power? you know center taping the 24v pack is a very bad idea.
I'm full of bad ideas but thanks! It's what i have for now and the bolt pattern is standard so good mock up at the very least.
you will kill batteries :(
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

edzz wrote:
Yannick wrote:
you will kill batteries :(

Gotcha, and i do appreciate it!!
waterdog
Paraguay

Winch bumper

Post by waterdog »

One fully charged battery , is ok for a couple of test pulling, but not when you're in deep sh#t!!!!
1985 710MS
1985 712MK
1988 PAJERO CAMEL SPECIAL 042/150
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

the fascination with the front pin just amazes me to no end. Most of the quality front bumpers made for the pinz have some sort of tie off point. EI's has "D" rings, Tim's has the standard 1 1/8" holes for shackles (which you should use even if you use the front pin, Andre has done both the "D" ring and the holes for the shackle. Working around the pin simply makes the bumpers weaker in the overall scheme of things. As we don't daisy chain these trucks with the tow bars (like the mogs have) there is just no need to sacrifice the integrity of the bumper to access something that is not useful after the installation of a quality bumper.
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

No D rings on mine and as for the weakness of the front bumper...almost anything, including laminated 1x2's would be stronger than the original.
Have you taken a look at the rear of the vehicle for structural integrity lately? These things are not made for the type of driving and collisions that
are common on todays highways.
I'll take my pin modifications..Been towed up a 4 foot shelf by a Mog and did just fine. :D

Happy trails
mopar
United States of America

Post by mopar »

waterdog wrote:One fully charged battery , is ok for a couple of test pulling, but not when you're in deep sh#t!!!!
Well When my first 712 was stuck in the middle of nowhere a receiver mount winch off of craigslist and walmart 12V deep cycle marine battery saved me was able to winch truck out and then drive it back out of nowhere with no clutch. Not ideal but definitely doable and worth having rather than nothing.

1974 712M AKA the Banana
1974 710M AKA the project truck
1987 718M Now Sold
1975 Volvo TGB1111 Now Sold
1973 Pinzgauer 712M x2 Now Sold
1963 404S Now Sold