EZ power steering

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
JimmyC

EZ power steering

Post by JimmyC »

I am new to Pingauzers and wil be taking delivery of mine next week. I am thinking about installing an electric power steering unit called EZ Power Steering from the Netherlands. They say they have been installed on the Pingzauer. Does anybody have experience with them?
Jim Chance
710M

All my post fully incorporate the Dunning-Kruger effect
krick3tt

Re: EZ power steering

Post by krick3tt »

C'mon man...build up those forearms. Jockey that wheel around those rocks. Power steering? Really?
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

Problem isn't me. The problem is 4 daughters and a girlfriend, each about half my size. It has a pot where you can adjust the level of assistance. When I drive it I am going to have to reverse polarity and turn it up full blast just to make sure I don't damage things due to my excessive upper body strength :wink:
Jim Chance
710M

krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Aha...you're a good Dad.
When they are driving, post some pics.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
Fentonite
United States of America

Post by Fentonite »

JimmyC wrote:Problem isn't me. The problem is 4 daughters and a girlfriend, each about half my size. It has a pot where you can adjust the level of assistance. When I drive it I am going to have to reverse polarity and turn it up full blast just to make sure I don't damage things due to my excessive upper body strength :wink:
Now that's funny right there! :mrgreen:
crcpinz

Post by crcpinz »

Even if you go with the power steering it's a good idea to wrap something around your steering wheel to take away the skinniness of it and give you a better grasp. I wrapped mine with two turns of parachute cord. The result is amazing; really worth the effort. Parking always takes some determination, though. You might try gloves also, and you will definitely need two other things: a box of some sort to carry on the passenger floorboard for smaller people and a pair of hubsteps to aid in entering the vehicle. I am in the process of fabricating mine after a few years of having my wife complain about boarding the truck (I always carry a small stepping stool). Enjoy your ride.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
1976 710K
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000163282080
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Good ideas.
I got a steering wheel cover at the auto store that fits a truck. The ones for cars are not large enough for the pinz wheel. Really comes in handy.
I did put a metal box on the floor of the passenger side for shorter legs. It also serves as a lockable storage for items that I don't want to walk away.
I also have locks on the doors.
Made hub steps from 1 1/2 inch floor flanges and 1 1/2 inch x 6 inch pipe nipple. The flanges fit in the space between the rim and the wheel perfectly and the
cost was about $10 for both. Welded a bit of open weave metal mesh on them for grip.
63rover
Canada

Post by 63rover »

I purchased my 79-710M last fall and changed the tires to BFG 295/75/16 (they clear nicely and don't rub at full lock) which steer with no difficulty. Perhaps I am showing my age (50) but if you don't try to turn the wheel when the truck isn't moving, just like old manual steering tractors, there is no steering problem, need to work out or need for power steering. My daughter (18 and only 5'4") can drive my 63 rover which is harder to steer than the Pinz so... I would suggest saving the money and hassle and just encouraging all of the not to steer when stationary. It saves stressing and straining the steering linkage too.

Good luck.

Cheers, Clive
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

I guess this is a good time for the thumb reminder. Remember not to wrap your thumbs around the inside of the steering wheel unless you wish to break them. :shock:

http://www.toughtoys.com.au/how-to-4x4/ ... -steering/
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

I have gotten into the habit of thumbs out. Even on my town car to keep the habit in force. It's a wise habit to have.
captxmas

Post by captxmas »

Sounds like folks are doing some nice additions with low cost, quality ideas in mind. Can we get some photos of the para cord steering wheel cover ( half hitches or straight wrap?) and the hub steps made from pipe flange etc. Might be good additions to the low cost improvements page.
Capt Xmas
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

I've used this leather steering wheel cover on both my 710's and they make an amazing difference in comfort. I haven't tried the paracord method but it sounds good too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-18-Bl ... 19&vxp=mtr
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Leather wrap thread
Also ask Berger about his hub steps as he can unscrew them when not need/on the trail.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7968&hilit=Steering
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

I ordered the unit. They say they have had about 10 Pinzgauer installs but do not have instructions.
Jim Chance
710M

crcpinz

Post by crcpinz »

Sorry, I took some pics but they are more than 500KB each and I'm not allowed to post them. It is a simple wrap around the steering wheel with simple knots aided by pliers. You will need two 100 ft. rolls of 550 parachute cord. Mine is OD color. With respect to the hubsteps, mine are not removable unless you take the wheel off, and I used skateboard "tape" to wrap them with which is self-adhering and a coarse sandpaper outside finish to it to prevent slipping.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
1976 710K
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000163282080