EZ power steering

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
compunerdy
United States of America

Re: EZ power steering

Post by compunerdy »

JimmyC wrote:I ordered the unit. They say they have had about 10 Pinzgauer installs but do not have instructions.
Please do a write up on it when you install it.
Tim
1975 710K
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

One of the men in our local pinz club had PS installed in his 712 to make it easier to drive. Seems to really like it.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

JimmyC
I would be interested in a rough price if you are willing.
Did you get it from the US dealer Robert Hall?
Last time I saw a discussion on EZ Power Steering (Scott at EI was looking to do a Pinz and Mog 404 kit but stopped for many reasons) the cost was over $2400 and it was a 12v, install it yourself kit (your comment about zero instructions is kind of telling!)
After stopping #1 (brakes), I think I place my ability to steer at #2.
I don't want to discourage you but be extremely careful - I know failure should revert back to manual steering vs a hyrdo kit but...
Cheers,
Dan
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

I am paying a bit less than that in exchange for documenting the installation. I think they are making out like bandits, but I do not think there is a better or cheaper way to do it. The unit is 24 volts and can be either positive or negative ground. They seem good at answering questions. The only thing that looks particularly difficult is that the steering shaft must be cut in half and the top part with the unit they install. They seem to have a cavalier attitude towards welding the pieces together. We have a strong history of splicing shafts here due to the marine industry, but it takes a great deal of equipment as it is typically done in a lathe with automatic welding gear. I am thinking that shrinking a coupling over the two halves may be better. I am still cyphering. If anybody has an old shaft I would love to test to destruction.
Jim Chance
710M

All my post fully incorporate the Dunning-Kruger effect
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

I have received the unit and it looks pretty nice. At first I thought they shorted me some parts and paper work but found them when I was getting rid of the box. I have a lot of styrofoam peanuts.

I have not had a great deal of time and have not figured everything out yet. You have to cut the existing steering shaft and the tube as well. You have to join the new steering shaft with servomotor to the bottom half of the standard steering shaft and clamp their steering tube to the lower part of yours.

I am not sure how I am going to join the steering shafts. It looks like the standard method is to just to butt the two together and weld but I am not very comfortable with that. I am tempted to use a shrink coupling.

One thing I cannot figure out is how they plan on anchoring the servo motor. It sort of looks like they expect the tube to hod it in place.
Jim Chance
710M

Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

You might consider a smooth shaft coupling and locktite, and perhaps a cross pin for security. McMaster Carr has these couplings: http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-shaft ... gs/=rgd4ce
Pictures, pictures! We all want to see!
Jim M.
712W and 710M
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

I have contacted them twice for info (the US and Netherlands head office) seems both have gone into the ether as they have not replied.
You would think that someone trying to sell $$$$ kits would reply or at least provide you (JimmyC) with a bit of customer service.
I understand they don't have "instructions" for the Pinz but how about some general instructions/best practices on how to install it!
Do they have instructions on how to install it in a $75,000 Austin Healy Mk 3?
Weird is all I am sayin'
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
compunerdy
United States of America

Post by compunerdy »

PICS....
Tim
1975 710K
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

Still have not started on this as I have been traveling until today. Hope to get to it in the next couple of weeks
Jim Chance
710M

NEWFISHER

Post by NEWFISHER »

Hey JimmyC any updates in the last couple years?