Pinz 710M alternator replacement

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
Pinz710m2

Re: Pinz 710M alternator replacement

Post by Pinz710m2 »

I know. Thanks for any logical input. It seems on bulletin
boards that people want to critique, critique, critique, and
not really answer questions. I've got more valuable things
to do in my spare time, but I realize the wisdom of actual
experience and that's why I asked about preferred fluids.
The information on bulletin boards like this one is invaluable,
but there are a lot of people who parrot things they've heard
and not actually experienced. Par for the course.

Here's a pic of the last vehicle I built from a stock, 85,000
mile Jeep, to a Jeep that I'm a little hesitant to sell. The top
pic is a metaphorical before-after. lol

edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Relating to the electrical issues a number of us on this board have backgrounds in electrical / electronics engineering when we ask questions before answering a question it maybe for reason. Example, many people see "30 amp alternator" and think it has the same output (wattage) as their 12 volt cars / trucks alternators. When someone asks questions such as how the battery is grounded what level of electrical experience would you expect that person to posses?

Sorry if you don't like my responses however it may amaze you how many times some of us have seen the same questions asked and answered over the years. The electric heater has been discussed many times, it seems to come up every year.

Some of the cold weather solutions that have worked for people are
little buddy space heaters
insulated top
divider curtain between cab and cargo section
adding body insulation
espar heaters or their equivalent
electric clothing
dressing for the weather (as was expected by the designers of this vehicle)

Best wishes with your electric heater, I hope you find a solution that is effective if you do many would benefit hearing about it.

I'm still waiting for a review from the individual that was converting a dorm refrigerator for use in a Pinzgauer.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
Pinz710m2

Post by Pinz710m2 »

Don't forget the vent tubing: I'm going to replace all the
old vent tubing with SCEET aircraft vent tubing. Should
make the OEM heater way more efficient. Also, I'll
probably replace and seal up the heat exchanger.
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Just a suggestion, before getting too carried away. Throw a generator in the back of the truck (assuming the use of proper exhaust venting) and put a electric space heater of the wattage you are thinking of in the cab and test the results before going to a lot of work.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Webasto makes a small petrol heater that will create enough heat to get the cab toasty enough that you will be taking off things to be comfortable.
I would be willing to bet that it would be less of a dollar investment and certainly better for heating the cab than the process you may be undertaking.

Something that helps is to put the blackout curtain in place. Keeps the heat in the cab. Don't try to heat the entire pinz. It's a sieve. :)

Not parroting...actual experience and things that are in use. Gets cold in Colorado.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

You'll notice that all my questions regarded assistance with Pinzgauer-specific items that aren't like other vehicles. (Like the start of this hread, asking if anyone makes a replacement alternator that fits on the Pinz)
Sorry for "sidestepping" your question, but as has been said, the same questions have been asked by less knowledgeable people many times over in the past. As far as I know, there is no substitute for the Pinz alternator. It fits within the fan shroud housing (the OD is critical) and has a very Pinz specific shaft to hold the fan and adjustable belt pulley.

As to preferred fluids, the tranny needs GL4 to save the brass components. Synthetic can be used here, and in the diffs, but it is generally recommended to use non-synthetic in the hubs as any leaks with synthetic will force replacement of the somewhat expensive brake shoes where non-synthetic can be cleaned from the shoes. But other than the factory recommended fluids, many others have been used.

Regards,

Jim M.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
Pinz710m2

Post by Pinz710m2 »

Thanks Jim. 1st answer to a question! lol

I'll use what the book says and just go with a high quality Brand name non-synthetic all around.
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

I get my GL-4 from Napa. Have to get it in larger quantities though. They seem to have the fluids that are used in my Pinz.
I also get my copper washers from them.

Check here for some pics of the alternator ... http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Goatwer ... t=4&page=1
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

NO is your answer. Nobody makes a aftermarket replacement and 50-55 amps @ 28vdc is all you will ever get rewinding it :shock: .
I have had a few done over the years for other owners with good results.
Do an archive search and most of your questions can be answered without waiting for a response, but please post in proper sections for better search results. This thread should have been started in electrical section :wink:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

Hey Jim - Have you done any brackets for a second alternator installation on the Pinz air cooled engine? I see that Gut Automotive offers one:

I think that there would be a market for it if you offered one...
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Waste of time for me. If you need that much electrical power, you are in the wrong vehicle :o
You have 87Hp, use it wisely :D
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

I have a customer who has an auxiliary mounted 12v alternator mounted to his truck. Without isolating the 12v system ground, it became a ground bypass for the 24v system. We basically had to put in a power cut out switch to keep the ground ghosts out of the system. But if you're looking for that Big Boom audio system, then who needs power to move with.
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com