Pinz specific rear awning

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Pinz specific rear awning

Post by McCall Pinz »

I've been s l o w l y working on a rear awning project for 710 or 712m's for almost a year after coming across a surplus US tarp. This is v3.0 at least by now- and it's to the point I feel it is actually useful and solid and I'd like some input. My goal was to make this awning easy to put up and take down, make it Pinz specific so looks like it could have been original equipment, useable for rain or sun shade, and not require guy ropes. I think its close on those aspects now. It takes a minute for 1 person to setup. The X bracing resists any lateral loads and its very stable in wind or rain. It has a good shape that sheds water well and works with the Pinz's shape. There's a simple end detail on the poles which works for both tension and compression in case of wind gusts. I've recently switched to adjustable diagonal braces and they allow for tilting the awning up and down or side to side. The rear is fully accessible with the awning on. Also, the awning hooks to the sides of the truck and doesn't put any load into the factory top.
So, I'm about to take this template to a shop and have them make v4.0 out of modern fabric and I'll also upgrade to modern aluminum poles and braces. I was going to have them put grommets at 2' or 18" o.c. around the perimeter to allow for any attachments or tie down ropes for extreme wind. I don't know how various solar panels or films attach, but those could probably hook onto grommets or drape on so they can be adjusted for sun. What am I missing? a spot for hanging LEDs? Reflective tape? Carrying bag? Different fabrics? I've been camping with it many times now, but many of you have more experience than I do. Can you think of any other things to consider? Also, if there's interest, I'll make a few kits.
Attachments
pinz awning - 6.jpg
pinz awning - 6.jpg (144.73 KiB) Viewed 7087 times
pinz awning - 2.jpg
pinz awning - 2.jpg (125.96 KiB) Viewed 7087 times
eat, sleep, Pinzgauer
opiwan

Re: Pinz specific rear awning

Post by opiwan »

Looks sharp! I'll take one! I'll send a text in a bit.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Looks good - solid and proven design with the side poles!
Would be good to know how it attaches to truck - any drilling, rear flap need to be up, any water get in between it and the truck, etc?
Also, how does it all store/pack away (size wise)?

I have been researching marine fabric for about a year now for my new top so I may be able to help out a bit on that front.
I assume you'll be looking for something light weight, waterproof/resistant, UV stable and available in OD or other various colors? What other specs would you want/need?

Looks like you have it well thought out - side and/or end flaps that could be added on?
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Post by McCall Pinz »

Definitely no drilling required! The diagonal braces attach to the mudflap hooks with a machined aluminum end piece. The fabric attaches to the side hooks with a rubber cord like the original M tops. The X braces touch the truck at the loops on the roll bar. The braces are all shock-corded and fold to about 24" long. The whole thing rolls up to about 48" long and 5" round and and will hopefully get smaller with modern fabric. I was looking at a trivantage PVC coated nylon, but heard that OD is discontinued, so any fabric help would be valuable.
Side or end flaps is a great idea too.
EDIT- the rear flap can be up or down- doesn't matter. The awning material just overlaps the existing material so its water tight if your current top is water tight. Water would have get under the tarp and inside your current top in order to get a leak. My friend has a Rapier missile 712 and I'll see how it clears those double doors.

ps- Opiwan, I'm headed your way at Spring Break- not sure this will be ready by then, but let's make some turns at Big Sky!
Last edited by McCall Pinz on Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eat, sleep, Pinzgauer
Buzz
United States of America

Post by Buzz »

I like it and would intersted in a kit also. Since I live in Florida, I may work on a way to attach mosquito netting. I would also appreciate a picture of that fold down table. Looks like a great addition I could use often.
Last edited by Buzz on Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It's as stupid and wonderful as owning a pet elephant."
1974 Pinzgauer 710M
1990 Puch G Wagon 230 GE
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Unfortunately I did not research OD material as I was looking for a mid gray.
As for packing - I think you could fold the awning in thirds , then roll and get it down to 24-30"
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Very nice! How would you recommend connecting this to a K roof?
Oh, nice Swiss Cantor Basel flag by the way.
McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Post by McCall Pinz »

I was thinking of adding straps that go forward to the antenna mounts and down to the body edge below the rubrail, but I haven't installed it on a K yet.

My family is from Basel-land and Basel-city. Thanks for noticing.
eat, sleep, Pinzgauer
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

McCall Pinz wrote:I was thinking of adding straps that go forward to the antenna mounts and down to the body edge below the rubrail, but I haven't installed it on a K yet.

My family is from Basel-land and Basel-city. Thanks for noticing.
Looks good.

May look at the footman loops as mounting points on the K model's.

The idea of reflective tape on the support braces may be good.

A few years ago at Mogfest @ the Salton sea one of the guys had white LED Christmas lights running up the support posts and across the outer edge of his awning, provided subdued lighting and kept people like me from walking into the support braces at night. IIRC the lights were on a dimmer so they could be turned up for cooking and other activities requiring more light.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

What weight of fabric (oz/yard) are you aiming for?
This guide may be of help (while it is older it still has many of the fabrics in use today)
ie. TuffRiver uses Aqualon on the inside of it's Pinz tops and SeaMark on the outside (if you use their fabrics)
http://marinefabricatormag.com/reposito ... uide11.pdf
McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Post by McCall Pinz »

TechMOGogy wrote: TuffRiver uses Aqualon on the inside of it's Pinz tops and SeaMark on the outside (if you use their fabrics)
Thanks. This is going to take me a while to digest...
eat, sleep, Pinzgauer
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

when I made my rear canopy I set it up in a canister system. I wanted three different styles. The first would be solar screen the second would be rain resistant and the third (which I have never gotten around to building is an "add-a-room". I still think an Add-a-room would be great. give you the option of standing up inside of the truck. Somewhat important if you like to camp out of your truck. The design like yours could incorporate zippers and side/end panels to complete the room and be removable when not desired. Had a canopy with removable side/end curtains made for my deck boat that worked really well. We could install any one of the three panels to block sun or wind depending on the need.

Just a couple thoughts that I always thought would be great on mine.
Attachments
100_3434 (Small).JPG
100_3434 (Small).JPG (83.19 KiB) Viewed 6912 times
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

McCall Pinz wrote:
TechMOGogy wrote: TuffRiver uses Aqualon on the inside of it's Pinz tops and SeaMark on the outside (if you use their fabrics)
Thanks. This is going to take me a while to digest...
That guide is good for marine fabrics if you want lighter then you'll want to look at something like tent fly fabric (they are much lighter but still come in various weights) and will be easier to find in camouflage/OD
McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Post by McCall Pinz »

4x4Pinz wrote:when I made my rear canopy I set it up in a canister system. I wanted three different styles. The first would be solar screen the second would be rain resistant and the third (which I have never gotten around to building is an "add-a-room". I still think an Add-a-room would be great. give you the option of standing up inside of the truck. Somewhat important if you like to camp out of your truck. The design like yours could incorporate zippers and side/end panels to complete the room and be removable when not desired. Had a canopy with removable side/end curtains made for my deck boat that worked really well. We could install any one of the three panels to block sun or wind depending on the need.

Just a couple thoughts that I always thought would be great on mine.
I Like the "canister" systems for the hardtops or those with cages or racks. These are all great ideas.
eat, sleep, Pinzgauer
Pinzcat
France

Post by Pinzcat »

I have made a rear awning too; it's a very little one. I used to put the poles directly on the ground but the post of Mac Call pinz gave me the idea to put them on the mud flaps hooks: it works very well!
Attachments
P1120348 - Copie.JPG
P1120348 - Copie.JPG (539.03 KiB) Viewed 6784 times