MRAP 24 volt Warn winch

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
bikmakr
United States of America

MRAP 24 volt Warn winch

Post by bikmakr »

These excellent winches are becoming available on Ebay and other sources for around $750. They are Warn's "severe duty" fully potted 24 volt, 18,000 pound winches supplied to the army (at an ridiculous price I'm sure) for their $500,000 9 ton MRAP vehicle. The non-potted, no current over-limit equipped, civilian industrial versions sell for $3600. They are being cut off the vehicles and surplussed. I know others have expressed this is too much winch for the Pinz, but if you remove the 42 pounds of 1/2" cable, 23 lbs of roller fair-lead and tensioning device, you have a 100 lbs winch exactly....I weighed every piece. Add a 2 lbs Hawse fair-lead and 6 lbs synthetic rope and you a an excellent winch for under $1000. I have engineered a mount for this beast that keeps the moment angle as low as you can get while mounting at 6 points. Also, my design objective was to keep the winch as tight to the body as possible and not hinder the approach angle. The lower mounts put pull force in almost perfect shear and only protrude 2" down, paralleling the nose angle. It uses the two original pin holes and the four original bumper mount holes as well. I am making a longer pin to mount up from the bottom. It allows the original use of the pin for an additional point for a double line or snatch line. Total mount weight=32 lbs. The first one has been produced, fitted and is at powder-coat. I'll post pictures when I get it back. I intend to make separate bumperettes to complete the front end. After mounting and successful testing, I will provide DXF or DWG files for waterjet cutting of your own components if you want, just PM me. A couple of renderings are attached. Once again, thank you for all the advice posted on this site. It has been invaluable to me as I get my 712 up to snuff. Comments are welcome.
Attachments
Two holes are drilled and tapped into the spine of the Pinz. Both top and bottom pin holes are utilized to take the load as well
Two holes are drilled and tapped into the spine of the Pinz. Both top and bottom pin holes are utilized to take the load as well
rear view.JPG (413.88 KiB) Viewed 8709 times
The four main bumper holes are used to mount. The mount itself is boxed in using the bottom and front winch mount holes, further reinforcing off-line pulls.
The four main bumper holes are used to mount. The mount itself is boxed in using the bottom and front winch mount holes, further reinforcing off-line pulls.
front view.JPG (402.14 KiB) Viewed 8709 times
GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Re: MRAP 24 volt Warn winch

Post by GenevaPinz »

Great design, it does look like you put a lot of thought into it, and I like the fact that you kept the front pin functionality. The two "ribs" that go down the front of the vehicle to provide another fixing point are completely unique to your design, and I would guess they will help preventing too much stress on this part of the frame.

One little question: I see the fairlead fixing holes are at the middle of the cable drum... shouldn't they be lower (i.e. directly in front of where the cable will unwind from the drum)? Or are these winches different in this regard.

Also, compared to "standard" Warn and other winch brands, usually the brake is on the right and the motor on the left. Yours is installed differently and I assume it is a deliberate choice (to put the motor on the same side of the vehicle as the batteries and shorten the length of cables needed? You'll just need to invert 2 cables where the remote plug is connected to the solenoid.
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M
Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

I like it. Use a plate washer inside the nose to mount the lower half to and it will work great.
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
bikmakr
United States of America

Post by bikmakr »

Geneva, that's where the mounting holes are on these winches.
bikmakr
United States of America

Post by bikmakr »

Attached is a photo fitted up
DSC_5162.jpg
DSC_5162.jpg (449.24 KiB) Viewed 8639 times
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Looks good and looks very heavy duty!!
As GenevaPinz asked - why is the hawse going to be mounted so high?
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
Stekay
United States of America

Post by Stekay »

Seems you could drill a couple of holes and put the Hawse anywhere you like within the whole front window, no? Am I missing something
'76 710K
bikmakr
United States of America

Post by bikmakr »

I'll mount the Hawse lower. Those holes are the front winch mounting holes that I will use as well. These winches have front, bottom and rear mounts. When the 12" Hawse comes in I'll tap some holes at the appropriate height.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Very nice but why not built it without the window piece kind of like Andre did on mine? It's nice (and sometimes necessary) to have full visual and physical access to the rope area. You could just cut the top half off that piece and mount the fairlead so nothing is above it.

And be careful with that kind of power, it's about 8000lbs over what it needs to be for a 4x4 Pinz. That kind of power could deform the front end pretty easily, and can get you into even more trouble in some circumstances!
Attachments
300GD Gwagen winch bumper LP8500 Superwinch.JPG
300GD Gwagen winch bumper LP8500 Superwinch.JPG (274.09 KiB) Viewed 8610 times
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

bikmakr wrote:I'll mount the Hawse lower. Those holes are the front winch mounting holes that I will use as well. These winches have front, bottom and rear mounts. When the 12" Hawse comes in I'll tap some holes at the appropriate height.
Ah makes sense!
Really cool and great idea.
Thanks for sharing and offering the files
Dan
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

Beautiful welds! I would put a clear powder coat on it just to show it off.
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

As Andre had engineered my winch bumper to not obscure the grill, the pull from the winch was much too high. So I mounted the fairlead vertically, from underneath, which puts the pull of the winch exactly in line with the pintle pin. With synthetic line, the change in direction does not cause a problem. I do have slightly less width that the cable can run without hitting the sides of the mount, though. But it makes running the cable down and out the back of the truck very easy!
Jim M.
712W and 710M
bikmakr
United States of America

Post by bikmakr »

"Vince", point taken about removing the top of the "window". I agree, having that much access to the rope is great. After a finite element analysis of an off angle pull, (20 degrees), I detected differential deformation of the winch body without reinforcement of the front face. Remember, the two halves of winches are only attached by 3 or 4 tie-rods connecting them. They truly rely on the strength of the mounting mechanism and the drum and bearings to resist any axial load. Since this winch has mounting points on the front face as well, I elected to bolster the shear strength of that face and retain the top to box it in. It is all probably academic, the front of the Pinz will rip off before any of this becomes relevant. My analysis software's accuracy is limited to its input and getting accurate data from Warn is dubious at best. If I dowel as well as bolt the Hawse fairlead on, perhaps I can cut it off as you suggest.
bikmakr
United States of America

Post by bikmakr »

"Jimm", that's a nice setup. I evaluated that design. I only elected to go the direct route to avoid all the super-structure required. Personal preference. I believe the airflow is restricted to the amount of volume the fan can propel through the engine plenum. The intake surface area exposed behind the winch exceeds the area of the minor x-section area of the tunnel. So, I hope not to have cooling issues. ( I can't seem to get the oil to run above 125F as it is). Time will tell. Thanks.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

I believe the airflow is restricted to the amount of volume the fan can propel through the engine plenum. The intake surface area exposed behind the winch exceeds the area of the minor x-section area of the tunnel.
I believe you are correct, especially after seeing all the winches that appear to significantly block the grillwork without any apparent problems. The winchmount bumper that I have is about ten years old and reflected the views that were considered viable at the time.

Before I added the fairlead and synthetic cable, I used a large clevis hooked to the pin to lower the pull point. A hook, bar, or other attachment point between the lower ribs in your design would give another option like this if desired, even lower than the pintle.

Although this big capacity winch would work better on my 8,000 pound 712W, I'm starting to think how nice it would look on my 710M... :mrgreen:

Very nice work, and clean design.
Jim M.
712W and 710M