Quick security(ish) measure

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
Shovel Bum

Quick security(ish) measure

Post by Shovel Bum »

I mounted a lock-box to my passenger-side grab bar today. Not sure I'm totally in love with it, but we'll see. I know, I know, it wouldn't stop a determined burglar with plenty of time on his hands, but it would hopefully be enough to deter someone when I have to step away for a couple minutes. I've got a feeling I'll end up moving it, but I wanted it somewhere within easy reach from the driver's seat. If anyone has ideas for optional places, I'm open to suggestions. I was also thinking of the ax-mount area, behind the passenger's calves, but that's not exactly within "easy" reach. Will
Attachments
20150415_135832.jpeg
20150415_135832.jpeg (411.89 KiB) Viewed 6003 times
20150417_140553.jpeg
20150417_140553.jpeg (133.37 KiB) Viewed 6003 times
Shovel Bum

Re: Quick security(ish) measure

Post by Shovel Bum »

Didn't realize one of the pics was missing
Attachments
20150417_140606.jpeg
20150417_140606.jpeg (144.92 KiB) Viewed 6000 times
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

I would think on the screen supports would be less obtrusive and not give the "hey there is something in here worth stealing" feel.

Of course we have had success with our center console and lock kits for keeping things nice and tighty along with secure.
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

My passengers are usually female, and on the shorter side. That box would do better on the passenger floor as a foot rest/security box. Might be a lil safer for the passenger that way as well. =)
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
Shovel Bum

Post by Shovel Bum »

Thanks, guys. Those are both good ideas.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

I like the divider idea as well
Out of the way but still handy and not so "in your face"
A metal centre console would be cool for on top of the engine cover - security, storage, drink holders, etc :mrgreen:
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

I have a lockable box on the floor, doubles as a foot rest.

Actually it is a sprinkler control box that came from the garage and was replaced by a newer digital one.
Attachments
DSC01493.JPG
DSC01493.JPG (114.13 KiB) Viewed 5986 times
DSC01494.JPG
DSC01494.JPG (115.83 KiB) Viewed 5986 times
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
Shovel Bum

Post by Shovel Bum »

krick3tt wrote:I have a lockable box on the floor, doubles as a foot rest.

Actually it is a sprinkler control box that came from the garage and was replaced by a newer digital one.

I like that! You could fit quite a bit in there and it is out of the way.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

You're working with the idea the box is secure to the grab bar, it is. But i see someone pushing the box up and down breaking the grab bar off and you're out the lock box and grab bar. :roll:
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
Shovel Bum

Post by Shovel Bum »

David Dunn wrote:You're working with the idea the box is secure to the grab bar, it is. But i see someone pushing the box up and down breaking the grab bar off and you're out the lock box and grab bar. :roll:
Oh crap, you're right. I'd been thinking that no one would be able to get anything out of the box, given that I wouldn't leave anything in there for long. But THEY don't know there's nothing in there. Even if I don't leave anything in there, some d-bag could steal my lockbox and mess up the dash. It's getting moved first thing in the morning. Thanks, guys. :/
Shovel Bum

Post by Shovel Bum »

Krick3tt, is that another clever storage compartment under your glove box?
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

No, it;s a first aid box that I removed from my 404 Mog before selling it. I used the mounting plate and strap and fastened it to the bottom of the glove box.

I was involved in a off road club that had a requirement that the first aid kit be accessible and easily seen by someone unfamiliar with the vehicle, meaning not under the seat or tucked under lots of camping gear in the back or in the trunk (if there was one).

I have incorporated storage in other areas of the pinz, like the back swing open door and under the storage area for the spare petrol can..also in the back area between the uprights for the frame supports and under the back area for the tire chains. Storage can also be used under the floor metal in the cab for things that don't mind getting exposed to the elements. My camping gear is suspended from the roof inside by the use of bungies.
Attachments
DSC01348.JPG
DSC01348.JPG (120.02 KiB) Viewed 5965 times
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
63rover
Canada

Post by 63rover »

Another option for the 710M is to add door locks to the front. There are very few light fingered types willing to climb to the top of the truck to get in trough the roof when they encounter a locked door. I decided the locks were a must after watching some people at a car show just open it up for a look without even asking. Locking the cage completes the front security for now.

I like the idea of a box on the cage for storage too. If it had the right thickness and some padding it would make a good headrest/whiplash-bash your head preventer.
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

I have locks on all the doors. Easy install and even if ordered at different times it is no problem to have a locksmith key them all for the same key.
With the screens I have installed it makes sense to have the doors lockable.
Attachments
DSC02738.JPG
DSC02738.JPG (116.04 KiB) Viewed 5916 times
DSC02745.JPG
DSC02745.JPG (114.84 KiB) Viewed 5916 times
Texas710
United States of America

Post by Texas710 »

Krick3tt, that's one sweet set-up. I like the screen idea, did you fabricate them yourself?. Going to have to look at door locks at some point, my truck is stock in that respect and I know there are people out there who would take advantage.