Tow pipe?

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
man-o-war

Tow pipe?

Post by man-o-war »

Hey guys i have two Pinz trucks, 710k soft top and 710ms hardtop. I have need to pull one truck with the other from time to time. This is on highway and public roads. I want to get a pipe welded with pintle on one end (for towing truck with pintle hitch), and ring for front bumper pin on towed truck. What is safe length of pipe and do i need to lock steering wheel straight or turn key and leave wheel loose? Any help appreciated.

Man-O-War
710K diesel
710M Sanitätsfahrzeug diesel
GRCameron
United States of America

Re: Tow pipe?

Post by GRCameron »

man-o-war wrote:... turn key and leave wheel loose? Any help appreciated.

Man-O-War
Never heard of a steering wheel lock mechanism on any 710/712 Pinz. I "lock" my 710M using a Master Python cable lock through the steering wheel and down around both pedals. It won't stop the determined thief for long, but it would keep the opportunistic thief at bay until he comes back better equipped. I like it better than a big, heavy chain because it doesn't scar up the wheel. Perhaps I should reconsider the chain with a soft leather sleeve around it?

The "Tow pipe" sounds like a disaster in the making, at least to me. I'd make up a couple of brackets on the face of the bumper that could articulate a triangulated tow bar. Experience with my own truck says that the steering doesn't really want to self-center that much and would lead to fatal oscillations side-to-side with a single tow pipe.
George Cameron
Yarnell, AZ
1979 Pinz 710M
Molon Labe
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

The only 'tow pipes' I have seen were on Mogs and it was a stock item for most 404 Mogs I have seen.
Personally, I would not tow a pinz if I wanted to move it. I would put it on a trailer or have a professional move it for me. For the damage an inexperienced person could inflict on a pinz it would be worth it to have it done. ...also there is a maximum speed for towing any vehicle like a pinz. Research that and let us know what you decide and who you get to repair it. This is,of course, only my opinion and you may decide to go ahead with your plans.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
man-o-war

Post by man-o-war »

Thanks for the replies.

What is front bumper pin designed for on the Pinz?
I think that is how military moves them, hard hooked into another truck. Similar to train cars i suppose. All european medium duty trucks (up to 7 tons) have that receptacle and pin in the front and in the back. Also all military wheeled cannons and rocket launchers and utility trailers have same gizmo in the front to be towed along.

I understand that making triangulated bar would spread load better and whatnot but i dont want to drill holes in thin metal bumper when monster towing adapter is built into the frame. Both my trucks are diesel and in nice shape i dont want to butcher them if i dont have to.

It is not convenient to pay tow truck every time i want to go offroading, there and back!
710K diesel
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Lots of opinions are out there, mine was only one.

Next suggestion...research for a UniMog tow bar. My recollection is that they were 6 to 8 feet long with a lunette at each end to attach to front and rear of Mogs as there is a similar setup with pins and such. You could have one made of course but there original would give you an excellent pattern to go from.
Use additional lighting at the rear of the towed vehicle if on road travel is required, these things are slow enough.

by the way...update your profile to tell us where you are, might get better responses other than us shut-ins on a Saturday.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
man-o-war

Post by man-o-war »

Thanks man, i will look into it. I am in Florida, will update profile. Nice weekend to all!
710K diesel
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

man-o-war wrote:What is front bumper pin designed for on the Pinz?!
I believe the original factory videos showed them cabled together, but off-road and only for traction I believe, not to tow empty trucks around. Seems to me each truck had a driver, even cabled together. But those were the earlier gas versions.
I understand that making triangulated bar would spread load better and whatnot but i dont want to drill holes in thin metal bumper when monster towing adapter is built into the frame.
If the 716/718 has a similar front structure to the 710/712, I wouldn't exactly describe it as a "monster towing adaptor". They do have their limits. People have bent their truck body by pulling too hard on the front pin.
I'm not sure how the mog bar works, but every towed vehicle I've seen had a triangulated bar to prevent swerving.
I don't really recall reading of anyone flat towing their Pinz, just trailering.

Sorry if that ain't convenient advice. Perhaps you should own a tow truck?
GRCameron
United States of America

Post by GRCameron »

Some inconsistency here. OP says they are 710M and 710K in first post and then in the next post says they are both diesel. Diesel conversions? I'm confused :?
George Cameron
Yarnell, AZ
1979 Pinz 710M
Molon Labe
man-o-war

Post by man-o-war »

Interesting points thanks for elaborating. I will keep it in mind. Mog bar looks perfect. Thanks for that suggestion. Both trucks are mercedes diesel converted.
Attachments
35_1415978_218200540901PM.JPG
35_1415978_218200540901PM.JPG (26.88 KiB) Viewed 6694 times
35_1415978_218200540927PM.JPG
35_1415978_218200540927PM.JPG (42.38 KiB) Viewed 6694 times
710K diesel
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Mercedes diesel's?
Please tell us more!!!
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
man-o-war

Post by man-o-war »

Yes i swapped benz diesel into both of my trucks :lol:
Attachments
1948788075e9-800x600.jpg
1948788075e9-800x600.jpg (294.68 KiB) Viewed 6689 times
710K diesel
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Thanks for the pics showing the conversion. Like you, I cannot afford to have my vehicle hauled and not the cash for a trailer or a tow vehicle. I drive to wherever I am off roading, sometimes makes for a long trip. I would imagine the diesels get better milage than my petrol engine for a long ride.
Did not know Florida had any mountains or rocky roads, must have to go a ways for that type of driving. Never been there.
man-o-war

Post by man-o-war »

I get 20-30mpg depending on conditions...30 on the highway @55mph not towing. I mostly go mudding with them in the swamp, hunting, not really rock crawling.
710K diesel
Texas710
United States of America

Post by Texas710 »

I have a flat tow setup that came with my truck.

I have never used it before, but is not a bad setup.

The guy made a mount that is basically a large bar that sits just off the bumper, but mounts into the pin set up. He then would attach the tow bars (2) to that creating a triangle type mount. Nothing is touching the bumper. Seems legit, but I personally have issues with flat towing, but some people say it's not that big of a deal. Been talked about on this forum at length.

That said, I leave it on the truck just in case.

My truck had to be relocated while I try and sell my house, I'll try and get a picture of the setup tomorrow.
man-o-war

Post by man-o-war »

Thank you Texas710 would love to see, i am picturing it good description
710K diesel