Alternator outputs

Issues pertaining to the TGB/C30X series engine and driveline issues
rdover

Alternator outputs

Post by rdover »

I know the 12V puts out 55A but what does the 24V give.

There is a high ooutput Radio body alternator so if anyone know it's output I would be very gratefull for the info.

BTW I Have a radio body alternator/relay that I would like to fit to my TGB13 but it would have to be a much higher outputnto be worth the effort.
alanh

Post by alanh »

My TGB11 has an ISKRA 24v alternator that is rated at 55A. I don't think this is original though. I've got an unused wire in the wire harness at the alternator and the adjusting bracket is welded out of at least two different pieces which doesn't look original either.
Alan
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

Guys!
The radio trucks we have on the property have SEV Marchal 28/70 amp alternators on them.
The original reggie box can be found on the cab deck just aft of the engine cover. It has a multi pin mil plug.

The extra wire you mentioned is probably the remnants of the original installation, your alternator now being an ACR type unit, so its redundant.

By the way, there are a number of other alternators you can "knife and fork" onto the engine bracket; The 24/28v units availability are a bit on the "limited" in our experience. With some makes the size versus the angle of adjustment does limit the amount of adjustment you can obtain. So if you want a simple retro fit be careful what you buy, otherwise you be doing some major bracket installs.
Dennis
rdover

Post by rdover »

I've got the atlernator fitted now (it is a SEV 70A one) but it's not charging. There's 3 wires:
Big red one that goes to the starter motor
Thin red one that goes alongside it into some block or other
Earth.
And the 3 going to the regulator.

Q1. Does the regulator need to be earthed (ie through the case being fixed to the bulkhead
Q2 Is that green wire the one that activates the charging?
rdover

Post by rdover »

Well that's another crampon hammered into the learning cliff. Turns out my 'new' alternator is knackered.

the thin red wire is the warning light connection
the green wire does nothing
the regulator does not need grounding.

So a new alternator from a volvo F30 is required. I'l get some part numbers for you all ...... just in case.