front wheel drive stuck

Issues pertaining to the TGB/C30X series engine and driveline issues
bababiscuit
United States of America

front wheel drive stuck

Post by bababiscuit »

hello...i could use some troubleshooting advice...my front wheel drive seems to stay engaged, even when button is off...any ideas?...thanks
aclark79
United States of America

Re: front wheel drive stuck

Post by aclark79 »

I'm no expert but... The front wheel drive (or 4x4 as we call it) is a fail safe system that requires vacuum pressure to disengage. This was so that if the vacuum system broke in the field the truck would still have 4x4. Basically the engine has to be running and the vacuum system working for the 4x4 to disengage.

Can you see if your vacuum system is no working? If you flip the diff lock arms on and then off do you hear any air?
one2many
Australia

Re: front wheel drive stuck

Post by one2many »

Check that both wires of the front axle engage solenoid are connected, it should be located behind the passengers seat area. On mine (cab over, no body) its on the outside of the cabin behind said seat, I had one of these wires come disconnected during the washing process required by our quarantine laws...when driving home I had to pull over to find out why the front axle wasn't disengaged. I was pretty happy to find it was just a disconnected wire.

Before starting engine when the key is turned on you should hear this solenoid make a quick "click" sound if its connected and working correctly, may help you to locate it. If you can't hear this click then this solenoid is the first thing I'd be checking.

Good luck, hope this helps.
1985 pinzgauer 712K factory 2.7lt civilian (RHD, 4 door K)
1979 Volvo tgb 1314a (under construction to om606 diesel/722.6 trans. Dual cab/tray)