tgb 1315 Ignition cap/rotor/wires/spark plugs

Issues pertaining to the TGB/C30X series engine and driveline issues
Corey
Canada

tgb 1315 Ignition cap/rotor/wires/spark plugs

Post by Corey »

Hi!

I am doing a tune up before heading on a big road trip. Having some trouble with the ignition. The plug wires are screw on which I believe was for radio shielding for the radio car. After Googling a bit it seems it's set up like aircraft are. Can I swap everything to a normal cap, wires, and plugs? What part numbers should I use if i can swap them? What about the points? Some spare points came with the Volvo when I bought it but they were not the right ones. Looking on the Tatanka parts page they seem to match my spare ones, but don't match what is on the truck. Are the radio shielded points different? Where can I find them?

Thanks for your help

Corey
Haf-e
United States of America

Re: tgb 1315 Ignition cap/rotor/wires/spark plugs

Post by Haf-e »

This civilian ignition swap is commonly done on the Pinzgauers - it requires an adapter plate for the cap though. Cant help you on the points...
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
Jimm391730
United States of America

Re: tgb 1315 Ignition cap/rotor/wires/spark plugs

Post by Jimm391730 »

From a purely ignition point of view, yes, you can get rid of the shielded wires, cap, and plugs. You may need/want to go to resistor plugs and/or resistor wires to reduce radio noise. Points remain the same for either system, no need to change unless you want to go to an electronic version like Pertronix (which won't wear, pit, or need a condenser [aka capacitor]). I'm not well versed on Volvo options, you may be able to find a civi cap, rotor, etc. to fit the existing dizzy or you may need to replace the dizzy, too.
Jim M.
712W and 710M