Articulation enhancements?

Issues pertaining to the TGB/C30X series engine and driveline issues
PinzEOD

Articulation enhancements?

Post by PinzEOD »

Does the solid axle set-up of the Volvo lend itself very easily to spring mods for increased articulation? I have a Pinz 712, and enjoy it thoroughly, however, I think a 4x4 toy like the 303 would be fun for 'sportier' off-roading. Perhaps another project can be added to my garage works.
Mike Newton 1973 712M (sold)
I do not like this word "bomb." It is not a bomb. It is a device that is exploding. Jacques le Blanc
TiredIronGRB

Post by TiredIronGRB »

They flex pretty good stock...
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

Just another example of a toy that does not get used. I have tried to get the AZ Volvo owners to come out and play and it always the same thing, "My truck is broke" All sounds like excusses to me. Parts are supposed to be cheaper and more readily available so what gives? I know that there are fewer of them available but that is what was said about the Pinz when it first found its way to the US. If you love the trucks like the pinz folks do you would get them fixed and on the trails. With the exception of one or two in the US most of the Volvos seem to stay parked. I am NOT meaning to come across negative about the Volvos, HECK I have never seen one on the trails. Somebody come out and show me what they can do in real life. Might even be able to convince me to add one to the collection. Like PinzEOD said a sportier 4X could be fun.
Mike
TiredIronGRB

Post by TiredIronGRB »

mjnims wrote:"Just another example of a toy that does not get used" I don't know if you are directing that at me but mine gets abused... I mean used weekly. Here's more pictures...
http://tired-iron.mounet.com/images/C304/index.htm
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

TiredIronGRB no not aimed at anybody. As is the problem with the written word it is difficult to get the true meaning of what is being typed. I by no means have anything against any truck. We even go out with Jeep clubs Just some experiences that I have had with Volvo owners here in AZ. I can not get them to take the trucks out. I am one of those who thinks these type of trucks (Mil surplus) were meant to be used. They are not all that expensive (for what you get) and just plain fun to drive. Some of my use has been documented on the SWPA (www.swpinzgauer.org) site My 712 Pinz gets used for almost all my offroad activities. As always, if you know a Volvo (or pinz) owner in AZ have them contact me so that we can get out. Maybe you will have better luck getting them out then I have had.

TiredIronGRB as a side note we had a Pinz guy join us in AZ that was from Tn for a couple of our Treffens. That invitation is open to you as well and the RMP Treffen is coming up soon. Maybe we can see you there.

BTW also need to get the Mog guys out more.
Mike
TiredIronGRB

Post by TiredIronGRB »

I agree with you 100% that they should use them, I thought you meant that mine just a garage queen. I'm getting a gooseneck trailer so I can haul mine cross country. I hope to make one of your events in the next couple of years.

G.R.Baker
Cole Wilson

Post by Cole Wilson »

Question for TiredironGRB. I was looking at you front bumper an I noticed it sticks out a long ways. Have you noticed it limiting you on the steep aproaches? I want to add a winch to the front of mine but I am already hitting my flat front bumper.
TiredIronGRB

Post by TiredIronGRB »

No, it hasn't got in the way at all. It's so high off the ground it makes up for it sticking out.
WillTN

Post by WillTN »

TiredIronGRB
Nice truck. If you ever want to go wheeling with some rover owners let me know. I would love to see your truck in action. We have a guy that has a yellow 712 in our club http://www.tnrovers.com/ that comes out and runs trails every now and again. It would be sweet to see your truck and his 712 in action at the same time.

Will Peters
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

WillTN
Would that yellow 712 belong to Don? If so he is the guy that made it out here for our Treffens in AZ. I don't know what happened this year but hopefully he will make the RMP Treffen in Aug. Pass the RMP info along to him when you see him if you would please. All of this is of course assuming it is the same guy. I would find it hard to believe that there are two yellow 712's in TN.

Having seen him drive it would sure be interseting to see the side by side comparison.
Mike
WillTN

Post by WillTN »

Yea its Don. He is the only 712 in Tennessee that I know of.
TiredIronGRB

Post by TiredIronGRB »

WillTN wrote:TiredIronGRB
Nice truck. If you ever want to go wheeling with some rover owners let me know. I would love to see your truck in action. We have a guy that has a yellow 712 in our club http://www.tnrovers.com/ that comes out and runs trails every now and again. It would be sweet to see your truck and his 712 in action at the same time.

Will Peters
How far east do you ride? I'm looking to buy a new trailer to haul it on.

GRB
Roy Gardiner

Big Tyres on your C306

Post by Roy Gardiner »

TiredIron,

Those look like Michelins sand tyres on your C306 in the pics, can you tell us what type and size they are please?

Great pics BTW thanks!
TiredIronGRB

Post by TiredIronGRB »

They are Michelin XLs 38/11/16, I'm changing them out for a set of TSL Boggers 38.5/11/16.
Roy Gardiner

Big Tyres

Post by Roy Gardiner »

They look the same as the 'Red Robin' tyres TiredIron, (?)

Great off-road with those side-lugs I imagine - but aren't they noisy on-road?

Thanks for the pic