Parts for the portal axles

Issues pertaining to the TGB/C30X series engine and driveline issues
Cole Wilson

Parts for the portal axles

Post by Cole Wilson »

How easy is it to get parts for my 303 axles? Every time I am in the mountains I worry a little bit about breaking parts in the axles. I would like to set my mind at ease and drive a little harder. Any info. Thanks Cole
TiredIronGRB

Post by TiredIronGRB »

Same here, I did just get a set of seals (boots) for my front axle through my local Volvo Truck dealer ($34 a piece).

G.R.Baker
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

Most parts are available.
Indeed , the seals that seperate the inner oil to grease outer cavity are readily available.

The outer grease seal is a bit harder to find.

The most troublesome boot that keeps the oil in the inner part of the front axle and seals the drive shaft and has a flanged portion to it, can be difficult to obtain. In North America both Volvo Cars & Truck Div's do not recognise the part number in their computers, so only the "progressive" dealers will take the time/trouble to source a boot for you.

I have now got some made in India that will have a steel crush ring formed around the flanged section so that the problem of seating the seal is a case of NO more.
TiredIronGRB

Post by TiredIronGRB »

Those are the ones I just got from the Volvo dealer, they have a metal crush fit collar on the end.

G.R.Baker
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

I don't think we are talking about the same component/area.
Sure the original boot always had an integral steel sleeve moulded to it for positive location into the stub axle arrangement. However the rubber flange section for location between the pinch plates is/was always difficult to install.
To reiterate this was always a bear to get into the pinch section and hold it whilst you bolted up the axle sections. Any grease or oil would tend to squish out the rubber out unless the axle was held perfectly square to the axle.
What I have had done was to introduce a further crush ring around the perifery of this pinch section to positively locate it.
TiredIronGRB

Post by TiredIronGRB »

The manual is a little lacking in this area, I will try and post a picture of the boots I got to see which ones they are.

G.R.Baker