Engine swap without removing body

Issues pertaining to the TGB/C30X series engine and driveline issues
Eddydog
United States of America

Engine swap without removing body

Post by Eddydog »

Hi all, I'm new to the TGB owners club and I love it! I am planning on doing a swap to a 2.8 Cummins including trans and transfer case from a Jeep Liberty. Has anyone tried to do a swap without pulling the body off? I am thinking about trying to cut the existing mounts and drop it out the bottom, and then blocking the new one in place and welding motor mounts under it.

Crazy? Thoughts?

Thanks, Ed
Jim Molloy
United States of America

Re: Engine swap without removing body

Post by Jim Molloy »

Ed,
You are not crazy. Years ago, a friend went through two B30A motors in his TGB 13 airport fire truck. Replacing original motors/transmissions/transfer case by removing everything from below is quite easy. Around the same time, I completed a conversion of a TGB 1314 from original Volvo powerplant to a Mercedes OM617A turbodiesel harvested from a sedan of the early 1980s. The ambulance box was not mounted on the truck and I must say this increased access did ease the overall fitment fiddling that typically comes with a conversion of this type. We chose to use the original Volvo bell housing, transmission and transfer case so the only major issue was front motor mount placement. Since you are swapping out the entire Volvo package, you have the option to be more creative.

Later this year, we plan to convert our AluZn TGB 11 to diesel replicating our efforts with the TGB 1314. The OM617A produces slightly higher horsepower, greater torque, better fuel economy and has a redline of about 1,000 rpm HIGHER than that of the original gasoline B30A. Ultimately, we converted the TGB 1314 to 12 volts to match the Mercedes 12v starter, alternator and glow plugs as well as some other 12v engine-related. Turns out we could have stayed with 24v using Mercedes OEM components from military G wagens equipped with NA diesels.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions or would like to discuss this more by phone, please contact me through our Northwest MogFest website (see below) or my newest Volvo-related e-mail (also below). By the way, where are you located?

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
Sheridan, Oregon
http://www.northwestmogfest.com
tgbforwardthinking@gmail.com
Eddydog
United States of America

Post by Eddydog »

Thank you for the info. It did look like there is width under there! Going to try it this summer sometime. Still deciding which powerplant to use. When you installed the OM617 did you had to have an adapter machined to use the Volvo trans?

Thanks, Ed
Jim Molloy
United States of America

Post by Jim Molloy »

Ed,
We built the adapter plate and used the original Volvo bellhousing and transmission. We used MB flywheel and pressure plate and a Land Rover clutch disc. I understand from Gosta at SMT that he also produces an adapter plate to allow the same OM617A/Volvo bellhousing mating. The engine must be indexed 13 degrees toward the passenger side.
Hope this helps.
Jim Molloy
Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
http://www.northwestmogfest.com