Maximum degree of side angle

Issues pertaining to the TGB/C30X series engine and driveline issues
TiredIronGRB

Maximum degree of side angle

Post by TiredIronGRB »

What is the maximum degree of side angle for the C30X vehicles?

George
Roy Gardiner

Side angle specs

Post by Roy Gardiner »

In the C303 manual specs it says "40%" George - which I guess equates to approximately 40 degrees as a percentage of horizontal!

No doubt taller tyres will reduce that a bit - how about : a side-slope, a big tree, a good rope and a big protractor....then you can let us all know for real!

:wink:

Roy
TiredIronGRB

Post by TiredIronGRB »

I've had it at 40 degrees this weekend...
Roy Gardiner

Tilting Vehicles

Post by Roy Gardiner »

I reckon that's probably around 30 degrees George (I build tilting vehicles for a living) which probably felt scary enough - anything over 40 degrees is very, very scary at low speeds (my vehicle's pulling 1.2G when it gets to that angle) although London buses tilt to 45 degrees before they go over as I recall - Dennis has probably tried it!

Did you get it to lift any wheels? Last time I drove a 712 we had the front waggling a paw, backside buried in a gully (wet clay) - time to run the winch out...

Roy
TiredIronGRB

Post by TiredIronGRB »

I have a inclinemeter on the dash and in two spots it was at 40, I think in that shot it was a little over 30.
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

Hey Roy and the readers

About 20 years ago I was involved in a sale of 10 Leyland Olympian Eastern coachwork bodied double decker coaches to Gray Line of San Francisco. One of those units actually did the tilt test to 51.5 degrees before falling.

Once in service I was given the boring job of accompany the units on their trips with passengers. On one memorable trip scudding under the trees at 14'6" above the ground in Muir Woods, this lady passenger with a Georgia Southern Belle accent enquired "excuse me sir, but do these buses turn over easy"?
No, I replied with a straight face they all have to pass the "BS" test,(some passengers got the double entendre immediatly judging by the smiles on their faces) pointing to a UK safety kite mark. See, it looks like a kite but actually is a layed over "B" on top of a triangle with an "S" snaking through the middle of the triangle. IT'S A BRITISH SAFETY APPROVED BUS!
So I continued to announce in a stern voice "As you can see this actual bus was tilted to 43 degrees before it tipped over. Every bus has to pass this British Standard test. There was a pause in the passenger compliment some were clearly impressed.

Then I blurted out "So did the Titanic and look what happened to that thing"!
Result was side splitting laughter on the top deck that caused some lower deck passengers to come up to see what was all the excitement.
limpan4all

Post by limpan4all »

In the Swedish military manual the following information is printed. For C303 (TGB11) incline is specified to 80% or 39 degres, sidways under driving 40% or 22 degre, C306 (TBG13) incline 60% or 31 degre resp 40% or 22 degre sideways.
Roy Gardiner

Tilt testing the 1314

Post by Roy Gardiner »

Took the 1314 out yesterday to an offroad day down in Somerset.

I can now confirm that it handles 30 degree sideslopes happily...more so than the driver maybe!

The old girl went very well through deep (over 1 ft deep) rutted mud, 3ft of water (with a solid base) and inclines/drop-offs over 30 degrees and didn't object to me lifting the rearmost axle a couple of times.

The pneumatic difflock engage/diengage works beautifully - even produce a sigh of relief when you disengage them!

Pictures to follow when I receive them folks...

Equally importantly it averaged 50 mph (about 12mpg UK) for the 200 mile round trip, though that mechanical fan HAS to go. Taller (modern) tyres will quieten the cab at cruising speed too.

Roy