Volvo TGB11 Drivebelt Change

Issues pertaining to the TGB/C30X series engine and driveline issues
thedoeges

Volvo TGB11 Drivebelt Change

Post by thedoeges »

Ok,

Both of my drivebelts disintegrated after I made a hard stop for a red light. Grinding sound, screeching sound, instant hot temp, and white smoke. I thought I had the correct gates belts, and I still think I have, but when looking for directions on www.c303.de for service manuals, I could not find a procedure on how to change the drive belts. So I loosened the tension screw on the alternator, loosened the alternator mounting screw to tilt the alternator inwards for making space to put the new belts on and they are hopelessly short. I verified that I have the correct belts a while ago. Is there a secret way of doing it, do I have to take the circular tracks off the alternator to get the belts around (and even then it seems like the belts are too short, as I would not be able to swing the alternator back into its original place), Is there anyone out there who can give me the correct belts and maintenance procedure?

Thanks a lot!!
Marcus
Tjerk
South Africa

Re: Volvo TGB11 Drivebelt Change

Post by Tjerk »

And the tensioner?
thedoeges

Post by thedoeges »

I though the tensioner is the top mounting screw of the alternator, which is screwed through a sliding bracket. Having loosened that screw, and the bottom one, I was able to tilt the alternator inwards, but it was not enough to get the belts on. And even if I would have gotten them on, it all looks smaller than original. Do those belts get loose over time and I have to adjust the alternator outwards to take the slack out?
Or am I mistaken on where the tensioner is?
Tjerk
South Africa

Post by Tjerk »

Which engine does it have?
Jim Molloy
United States of America

Post by Jim Molloy »

Does your truck have the original S.E.V. Marchall alternator or something different? Regardless, replaced can be tedious since you must disconnect the cooling fan propeller shaft from the front of the water pump requiring tilting the fan assembly forward for clearance. If your truck is now equipped with an electric cooling fan, obviously, you no longer have the prop shaft issue.

In the Volvo parts manual, the primary belt part number is: 966962-3 From a very early Yahoo Groups Volvo TGB parts cross reference, that corresponds to a NAPA XL25-7350. I just did a search using Volvo part number 966962 and came up with the following link. Scroll down for MANY cross reference options. https://www.finditparts.com/products/46 ... ayco-15350

Hope this helps.

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
http://www.northwestmogfest.com
Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
http://www.northwestmogfest.com