Electric power steering conversion

Issues pertaining to the TGB/C30X series engine and driveline issues
kevintran
New Zealand

Electric power steering conversion

Post by kevintran »

Hi, has anyone done an electric power steering conversion for C303 yet ? If so, what are the pros and cons? Thinking one of this http://www.fitzbackgarage.com/Electric-Power-Steering
Jim Molloy
United States of America

Re: Electric power steering conversion

Post by Jim Molloy »

Kevin,
I have watched numerous threads on a wide variety of power steering conversion on Volvo TGB trucks over the years. Electical assist, traditonal power steering boxes, hydraulic rams and the like. I have not seen anything specifically from the Fitzback Garage group.

While getting either 45 or 60 amps of 12V power is certainly possible with 24V-to-12V converter, reliable high quality units (steering function is not something to take chances with) may run up to $500 USD. A second issue is that these units take up space that is already at a premium given the TGB driver's station layout. A third is the cost.

I have spent many years and many miles behind the wheels of six different Volvo TGB trucks. Three were C303 4x4(two TGB11s and a TGB1111), two were C304 6x6(TGB1314As) and one was a C306 6x6 airport firetruck. On road. Off road. In all manner of conditions and weather. All were also equipped with standard size tires and wheels. Not once did I feel disadvantaged with the stock steering systems at my command. I obviously do not know the particulars of your specific situation.

I wish you the best in your search.
Take care.

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
http://www.northwestmogfest.com
dokatd
United States of America

Re: Electric power steering conversion

Post by dokatd »

Hydro assist is the only way in my opinion. My buddy did an electric and he likes it ok, but it’s been a bit of trouble for him. Hydro is just sooo reliable. You can get an electric hydro pump made for cars, but I would skip that idea personally.

And after seeing what my buddy had to do and others for that matter to make electric work, I can tell you hydro is easier in terms of fabrication.