INSURANCE

Issues pertaining to the TGB/C30X series engine and driveline issues
tmixx

INSURANCE

Post by tmixx »

any suggestions on insurance?? tried state farm,progressive,AAA no luck. :(
alanh

Post by alanh »

If someone who has a 6x6 can't give you a name of an insurer known to have provided coverage, this might help.

I have State Farm insurance on my other vehicles, and wanted to get coverage on my TGB11. The agent had to contact their underwriting group or something like that since it wasn't in their database. They wanted to know what it originally cost, so I gave the agent a copy of the magazine article from the 70's thats available on the web (don't recall where now) that gave an estimated sale price of the C303. The 6x6 may be a little harder since I don't think anything like that magazine article exists, but maybe they'd take the C303 cost as a guestimate.

If that doesn't work, you might have to try an independent agent who might be more used to working with older cars. There must be companies who insure all those collector cars that don't have "standard" values.
Alan
tmixx

NO LUCK ON INSURANCE

Post by tmixx »

I gave up..I will not be getting the c306 :(
tmixx

MORE ON INSURANCE

Post by tmixx »

YOU ARE RIGHT COLLECTOR CAR INSUR. IS AVAILABLE.VEHICAL MUST BE GARGE KEPT AND ONLY DRIVEN TO AND FROM SHOWS.VERY LIMITED NO OFF ROAD USE ALLOWED... :x
limpan4all

Just so you know.

Post by limpan4all »

Here in Sweden no problem what so ever to insure. I have my C303 fully insured, which means damage to other vehicle and stuff (no limits) if I cause the accident, fire, theft, vandalism and more, and repair of the C303 if I cause the accident.
Up to 10000 miles / year. Total cost 152US$.
But we pay about 5.50US$ /US gallon for gasoline, so owning is cheap but not driving….
tmixx

MORE INSURANCE

Post by tmixx »

the problem seems to be with the c306. the 6x6 scares them off.4x4 isnt so bad they can deal with 303 as a personal vehical but not the 6x6..
alanh

Post by alanh »

tmixx

Surely someone must insure them as there are some 6x6 driving around. Did you try sending them some pictures or anything like that so they can see what you're talking about (with some good size references so they know it isn't some 20ton monster)? There are a lot of people with 2.5 ton US military trucks and some of them are out on the highway occasionally. Some of the Pinzgauer guys must drive their 6x6s on the road as well.

limpan4all

I'll take your $152US a year for insurance. I pay quite a bit more than that for what sounds like similar coverage although I have maximum limits on all the coverages. I don't think there is such a thing as unlimited coverage here if I understand yours correctly. I'll keep the gas prices here though. I don't remember what premium unleaded was the last time I was in to get regular gasoline for another car here in Seattle, but it was around $3.00US or maybe a bit more.
Alan
TiredIronGRB

Post by TiredIronGRB »

I had State Farm and they insured my 6X6 no problem.
tmixx

insurance

Post by tmixx »

you HAD state farm.they wont insure military here in the middle of the country anymore I called.it seems the insurance industry is getting away from military trucks thats what they all told me.I even tried to insure commlercialy but that didnt work either.I did have every single company that I called get on the net and look at sites with the c306 and explained that this isnt a HUGE truck.didnt matter.I had an m37 for years that I drove with insurance but I would be willing to bet that would now also be an issue.I dought even a duece and a half would be insurable. I have now been CURED of the urge to drive a military vehical.I cant take the chance to have a $15000,00 paper weight in my drive way.

thanks for all the advice

good luck TOM MIXX :(
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Insurance in the US is underwritten state by state. I was the first to get AAA to insures Pinzes ( 710,712,716, Haf) in California ( and AFAIK the only state that AAA does insure them). The key was to be able to compare it to something that is known to the underwriters and is comparable. Also, some words are taboo when speaking to some agents..... "military vehicle", and "1 1/2ton" brings imagines of a large truck, massive liabilities and damages in an accident. What needs to be brought out that (in the case of the Pinz, I don't know much on the 306s) in the US, these things are no more than a Class 2 truck, aka 3/4T truck with a GVW of under 8800lbs. It is important to compare size, weight, horsepower and top speed. If asked, yes, they were used by the military, but so are Chevy, Dodge and Ford pick-ups,. Are they not going to insure them? 1- 1/2ton payload ? The typical HD 3/4T pick-up has close to a 2 ton payload. The 3rd axle is sometimes more of a dilema, because it denotes heavy capacity, but can be explained as a way of distributing weight while in soft sand and mud, again, it is ONLY a Class 2 truck.
Lastly, identify "civilian" versions of the vehicle, as this does show that there are other uses for the vehicle.

Dave Dunn

Hey Juergen, I think we got the preamble to the insurance section of the sdp-p site. :D
TiredIronGRB

Re: insurance

Post by TiredIronGRB »

tmixx wrote:you HAD state farm.they wont insure military here in the middle of the country anymore I called.it seems the insurance industry is getting away from military trucks thats what they all told me.I even tried to insure commlercialy but that didnt work either.I did have every single company that I called get on the net and look at sites with the c306 and explained that this isnt a HUGE truck.didnt matter.I had an m37 for years that I drove with insurance but I would be willing to bet that would now also be an issue.I dought even a duece and a half would be insurable. I have now been CURED of the urge to drive a military vehical.I cant take the chance to have a $15000,00 paper weight in my drive way.

thanks for all the advice

good luck TOM MIXX :(
I had it insured with them up till a month ago, you don't go in and tell them it's a military vehicle. it's a Volvo C306 1 1/2 ton truck they will charge you like it's a commerical truck which isn't much more than a standard pick up truck.
Doccers

Re: INSURANCE

Post by Doccers »

Just reading through older threads and decided I'd toss this in for anyone else: Geico wound up insuring my C304 no problems, (Colorado) and I told them exactly what it was (military 6x6). If it's not on their "Do Not Insure" list, they will insure it no questions asked.
psychoman

Post by psychoman »

No problems with insurance in the UK at present - pay about £150pa for my Pinz 712M (6x6), fully comprehensive insurance including social, domestic and pleasure use, incl use at shows and exhibitions, unlimited mileage, agreed value and parked on the driveway outside my house. Footman James ins policy, with discount for being a MVT member. :D
It aint what you drive, its the way that you drive it...
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

State Farm Insures my 6x6 Volvo,Haffy,and my 712,full coverage,antique,less than $200 a year ea.
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

State Farm Insures my 710K :shock:
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.