Source for coolant tank caps

Issues pertaining to the TGB/C30X series engine and driveline issues
Lightningpinz

Post by Lightningpinz »

Hi guys, working on a 1982 Volvo 240 DL and the coolant tank cap is identical to the C303 cap. I pulled the cap off the 240 and carried it over and the numbers on the caps matched. So when you need a coolant tank cap go get a cap for a 1982 240DL

TTFN
Lightningpinz

Post by Lightningpinz »

Update. I posted the Volvo as a 1982 which is when it was made, however is it a 1983 spec motor etc. I don't know if the 1982-1983 makes a difference, BUT the engine is gigger 10 cubic inches and there is a different efi system. So, order a 1983 and if I messed anybody up, I apoligize.
WJM

Post by WJM »

Lightningpinz wrote:Update. I posted the Volvo as a 1982 which is when it was made, however is it a 1983 spec motor etc. I don't know if the 1982-1983 makes a difference, BUT the engine is gigger 10 cubic inches and there is a different efi system. So, order a 1983 and if I messed anybody up, I apoligize.

Any idea's/suggestions about the window-washer-fluid cap?
(I have been told the cap on the wiper-arm is identical to those on a VW-LT (boxy mid-size commercial van), but that might not help much in the USA)

Willem
(currently also trying to figure out how to keep the headlight-wipers on the glass, instead of them slipping off on the far end (top), and then locking up)
Jan
rickardp

Post by rickardp »

Hello!

Got my C303 without the two caps (someone nicked them) and found that the cooling caps come in 2 varieties, brass OR a plastic insert. The plastic insert is what you want, the brass you DON'T (gets stuck in the brass insert in the recieveing end, where you screw the cap on).

Can't really say which car has what since half of the lids I found on the volvos at the scapyard, assorted 240,360,740 where of the plastic type
(I live in Sweden so volvo's are not in short demand).

The washer lids are simply the coolant cap (any type) but without the insert BUT with the rubber gasket in place (there are holes in the cap that let the air in)

Hope my experience will help.
Bought myself a Range Rover, got tired and got me a C303 so I can drive and not repair all the time. (But that V8 sure sounds nice)
WJM

Re: Source for coolant tank caps

Post by WJM »

rickardp wrote:Hello!

Got my C303 without the two caps (someone nicked them) and found that the cooling caps come in 2 varieties, brass OR a plastic insert. The plastic insert is what you want, the brass you DON'T (gets stuck in the brass insert in the recieveing end, where you screw the cap on).

Can't really say which car has what since half of the lids I found on the volvos at the scapyard, assorted 240,360,740 where of the plastic type
(I live in Sweden so volvo's are not in short demand).

The washer lids are simply the coolant cap (any type) but without the insert BUT with the rubber gasket in place (there are holes in the cap that let the air in)

Hope my experience will help.

Btw, in which colors do the caps come in those Volvo cars?
Those on the military trucks are green, although I have seen a selected few on civil models that were painted in contrast colors (mostly silver, with silver grille and silver rims).

Willem (needs one in bright firefighter red....:)) Jan

PS: could one nick that air-venting hole (for the window washer fluid) in a coolant cap (gasket)?....or is it more complicated than that?

PPS: here my ponderings and nifty solution to prevent either cap being stolen again:

http://www.a1.nl/phomepag/markerink/vol ... ocking.txt
rickardp

Post by rickardp »

The caps all come in black (as far as I know, seen 1 grey).

The air passages are already present in the caps above the coolant insert (with the vacuum/overpressure valves), so the insert is removed and the rubber gasket is pushed in again and you have a washer cap.

As for the theft protection it seems that there is a neverending supply of the caps at the scapyard (at 10-20SEK per unit).

Regards, Rickard
Bought myself a Range Rover, got tired and got me a C303 so I can drive and not repair all the time. (But that V8 sure sounds nice)
WJM

Post by WJM »

rickardp wrote:The caps all come in black (as far as I know, seen 1 grey).

The air passages are already present in the caps above the coolant insert (with the vacuum/overpressure valves), so the insert is removed and the rubber gasket is pushed in again and you have a washer cap.

As for the theft protection it seems that there is a neverending supply of the caps at the scapyard (at 10-20SEK per unit).

Regards, Rickard
Sorry, shouldn't have let the focus shift to 'theft-protection', that is just the minor criminal aspect; yet being tamper-proof (especially the coolant reservoir) is the main argument actually (this is also the initial focus/trigger of the the URL I posted).