CV-joint replacements & upgrades?

Issues pertaining to the TGB/C30X series engine and driveline issues
WJM

CV-joint replacements & upgrades?

Post by WJM »

Below a message I posted to the Volvo Mailinglist recently:

(maybe this forum has some more overlap/connections with the hard-core portal-re-deploying community in the USA, the most likely source of any aftermarket, existing or pending)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dear Group,

In the past, some have mentioned replacements for the CV-joints in
the front axle (steering knuckle), and even a possible upgrade made
by Longfield (better steering angle and probably stronger, but not
necessarily better wearing)....any news on this front?
(other than a complete/expensive replacement kit of both (stub)axles
and joints?)

(today I learned that the Volvo CV-joints are also a military-blocked
stock-item)
(don't need one myself, but the scary thing is that some people might
start cannibalizing good/complete portals for this purpose....;((

Here some older messages related to this topic (but not the
oldest/first list-mails that mentioned Longfield):

http://www.a1.nl/phomepag/markerink/vol ... _steering-
angle.txt

http://makeashorterlink.com/?H2B6236CC

Any efficient alternatives/replacement/upgrades on the market today?

Willem (wouldn't mind a smaller turning circle than the current 17m
either....:)) Jan
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

Interesting series of comments you have made.

Having serviced and sold a significant amount of these trucks together with a disposal by teardown and sale of used parts I am acutely aware of the need to supply parts for those stranded by a VOR.
From our experiences these Volvos are very reliable but parts are going to be needed at some stage ,even though the parc is small compared with that of the Pinzgauer

Recently I have received a number of enquiries for used items such as clutch op' cables and chassis parts such as suspension/drive shafts and steering components.
My enquiries through our usual parts sources in Europe are not encouraging. The results of the clutch cable, "unavailable mil blocked".
The rear axle shafts were one side $1050, and the right side unavailable with 90 day min lead time, price $22.550 (no not a typo)!!!

This has prompted me to look for alternative sources, these do exist by the way, but the current trend by most owners is to buy used and as cheap as possible. This is hardly conducive to investing in a parts manufacture and stocking program when attitudes such as this prevail.

As with the Pinzgauer the initial purchase price might be the most attractive part in obtaining a very practical 4wd vehicle. Maintaining it however is another matter! Refering to both vehicles (the subject matter of this forum) there appears to be a strong propensity to out do one another by performing the cheapest fix for a problem ( and then bragging about it.)

Obviously what you do with your vehicle is your business, but when ligitimate parts are available at reasonable prices (like master cylinders etc) some folks do not need to be owning such a rig, especially where public safety is concerned. (I seem to have observed that comment by another Pinz Specialty shop somewhere, so its not just me)

As with the other dealers and repair shops/concessionaires the dirty word of profit has to raise its head. Linden Engineering Inc is in business to make money & seemingly pay it all in taxes (sometimes I feel its akin to paying the Shire Reeve of Nottingham) but without that incentive to get a fair shake for sourcing, stocking and disitribution of parts/service there does not seem to be much incentive to do either.
To conclude, if we could get a solid response on parts we would stock more fast movers, that to date is not forthcoming.
Dennis
Linden Engineering Inc
Big Truck & Semi Trailer Div
TiredIronGRB

Post by TiredIronGRB »

lindenengineering

George
I know of these guys but I doubt they will have access to those rear shafts I mentioned in my previous post.
Dennis
TiredIronGRB

Post by TiredIronGRB »

Got anymore axle donors?
lindenengineering

George
Yes I have a six wheeler that's possibly going for the chop.
The axles are high speed units and very low mileage, like 30,000K
Same prices as before for the pair.
I will be out of the country for a week if there's interest give me a call on Monday next.
Regards
Dennis