Michelin XZL 11.00R16 - few questions

Issues pertaining to the TGB/C30X series engine and driveline issues
TGB_11

Michelin XZL 11.00R16 - few questions

Post by TGB_11 »

Hello all,

I am an owner of an C303 since june 2005 and I am located in Germany.
I have seen, that George "TiredIronGRB" has used Michelin XZL 11.00R16.

Is it possible to mount the tires as tubeless ?
Any difficulties by low pressure ?
What are the lowest pressure, which is used without problems ?

Thank you
greetings
Jens
One of the best off-road means of transportation, the icelandic horse
TGB_11

Post by TGB_11 »

OK, nobody knows everything

another question:

has anyone experiences about tubeless tires on genuine Volvo-rims ?

Jens
TiredIronGRB

Post by TiredIronGRB »

Sorry, I just saw this post.

I ran the XLs tubeless at 15 psi, they ran ok on the highway but were rather stiff when on rocks and totally worthless in mud. I went with the 38.5x11x16 TSL Boggers sure they aren't very good on the rocd but man they are great offroad.

I also un them on my Volvo Portaled FJ80 Land Cruiser
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I have an old
MITCHELIN TRUCK AND INDUSTRIAL TYRE TECHNICAL DATA book in front of me and although it does have the XZL tyre covered it does not have data for that particular size. However it does have some data for tyres that are supposed to use a similar carcase such as the XL and XS of that size and data

I think that Michelin XZL 11.00R16 are as far as I am aware is a tubeless tyre and should therefore be fitted to a suitable rim if fitted tubeless or with an inner tube if not. Michelin technical department should be able to answer you query or if you can inspect the tyre beforehand the carcase should indicate this and will state tubeless if it is.

Michelin tyres are made normally to high standards but if fitting a tube les tyre with a tube it may be worth while checking the inside of the tyre for possible rough ness and smoothing down because it is not uncommon in these cases for abrasion to puncture the tube over a period of time.

The OFF ROAD section of the book suggests pressures for both
Tracks and Sand / Mud and gives pressures according to maximum Axle Load at that pressure which is a very generous load at that size in a series of 6 steps from 2000kg up to 4300kg . The XL is a dedicated mud tyre and the XS a dedicated sand tyre.

XL 11.00R16 2000 kg axle load, at 20 psi for tracks and10 psi sand / mud
XL 11.00R16 2400 kg axle load, at 26 psi for tracks and 13 psi sand / mud

XS 11.00R16 2400kg axle load, at29 psi for tracks and 15 psi sand / mud

It may be possible to extrapolate by graph / calculation the pressures suitable for your particular axle load.

The guide also gives maximum suggested speeds at these pressures.

I do not know what you intended terrain or use is in Germany however I do have experiences of XZL which is really a General purpose tyre in my opinion and the XL at 9.00R16. The XL is more rounded in tread profile and has a very aggressive block pattern and will cut very easily through the top layer of mud or what ever very easily and self cleans while the XZL is more square cut with closer treads like an aggressive all terrain tyres and does not self clean any where near as well, it offers more surface area to the highway and gives stiffer steering.

For purely off road use in Western Europe I would choose the XL but for the sands of Africa the XS and more general use the XZL.

An interesting observation is that the more recent XZL is a much larger tyre than the XL when put side by side and this bears out with crude measurement, however the Michelin figures give both tyres the same dimensions which I could bore you further with figures.

I hope that this information is of some use
TGB_11

Post by TGB_11 »

Thanks all for informations.

@GRBaker
Did you drive the XL on highway at 15 psi ? Or only 15 psi by offroading ?
The boggers are tubeless too ?

@anthony
I have asked michelin and only the XZL is available now. All other tires in this dimension are no longer in production.

here the answer from michelin germany:

Michelin XZL 11.00R16 135K
tire width max: 276 mm
diameter: 984 mm
turning circle: 2990 mm
weight (without rim): 50,7 kg
rim: 6.50H (other rims not approved !)
max velocity: K (=110 km/h)

max load per tire (not axle) and max velocity:
highway: 2180 kg at 5,5 bar (110 km/h)
sand: 2180 kg at 1,7 bar (20 km/h)
dirt track: 2180 at bei 3,3 bar (65 km/h)

I need bigger tires to decrease the total gearing, because I want to swap the engine to a diesel. And I prefer tires for general use.

greetings
Jens
lralfi

Post by lralfi »

Hello,

11 x 16 Wow, this is really big !

I used for a long time only XZL in diff. sizes, I think, it's the best, not the cheapest ! They are loud on the road and perfect in mud, Sand 50/50. It's not easy to destroy them. Low presure is no prolem, I used my in sand with about 0.6 bar (tubed) and never got a problem !!

Ralf