tgb 11/11's

Issues pertaining to the TGB/C30X series engine and driveline issues
lindenengineering

tgb 11/11's

Post by lindenengineering »

Hey Just a thought.

Since there is no general/discussion topic section on this Volvo forum section, I thought the only place to pop in a Volvo question to all those potential owners is here.

So in short I have been offered five 11/11 units. I had a few units on the lot previously which we sold but not without alot of difficulty due to their perceived unpopularity.

Is this still the case? I have had a few surprising enquiries of late.
Dennis
OOOps no customer bashing now
PinzEOD

Post by PinzEOD »

Personally, I LOVE the look of the 1111. If I had seen those before I bought my Pinz, I would have had one. Perhaps I can dream of a trade.
Mike Newton 1973 712M (sold)
I do not like this word "bomb." It is not a bomb. It is a device that is exploding. Jacques le Blanc
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Lost cause

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Unless you are getting them for $3000 each or less, I wouldn't touch them. With the horrible design of the soft top and the overall parts problems with the 300 series Volvo's, no one seems to truly want one when it comes time to pay up.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

Jim Molloy
United States of America

Post by Jim Molloy »

Dennis,

It is good that you put out some feelers on this. I know of two commercial firms(one in the West and one in the South) who plan to bring in some as well. I think prospective buyers need to be given the absolute truth when it comes to the parts availability issue. There were some very misleading claims made by one Volvo salesperson at the time I purchased my truck. your honesty has always been greatly appreciated when it comes to relaying the hard facts...even when the news is not pleasant.

Vince,

Unless I am reading this wrong, it looks like you have become a bit less enthusiastic about the Volvos over time. What's up? Your site is still a very popular reference point for those searching for information. In the Pacific NW, where rain is very common, the 1111 is not ideal when it comes to the design of the original top. Still, I know of one that just arrived to a very happy recipient in western Oregon just two weeks ago. For two years in a row, the most sought after truck to drive at Northwest MogFest was my brother's 1111. In fact, Volvo C-series are now outnumbering Pinzgauers at our event. Some astute dealer could have easily sold a half dozen 1111s at that event with ZERO difficulty.

I have been in contact with a TGB1111 owner who is already working on an easily removeable modular hard top for the 1111. He is also planning a full skip plate system for the 4x4 trucks. I have friends who make accessories for the VW Vanagon Syncro working on alternate vacuum modules for the diff locks and transfer case. There is plenty of interest in the Volvos in this end of the country.

Take care.
Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
http://www.northwestmogfest.com
lindenengineering

Jim
From where I am sitting here are my thoughts regards spare parts.
The views are based up experiences.

When we first started selling and supporting these Volvos we had the sales input from the late Jim Viets who of course went on to form Xtreme Vehicles. Having dissolved his shares in that business he went on his own with a batch of vehicles those of which we inherited after his untimely death.

The TGB 11/11 was always a difficult beast to sell. The canopy as Vince has mentioned is a horrible affair and suited to warm climates.

The c303 has body corrosion problems for the most part so prospective purchasers have to select with care. We have seen junk and then as at the moment we have a "cherry unit" which exhibits all the qualities you would wish to see in a truck.

The mechanicals are a mixed batch. When we originally supported the trucks the factory Volvo USA had parts for a lot of the engine assembly. However these days they have dropped their support so many parts are un-obtainable. There is some reasonable parts availability from Volupart in Atlanta but its not comprehensive by any means.
Over in the UK things are a bit brighter as the Volvo Truck system can get parts--At a price, and the miserable US Dollar value makes Euro purchases a fiancial misery!
Moving on to the rest of the truck there is abundance in some areas and a dearth in others.
We have been lucky to a certain extent by being able to manufacture or adapt parts from other vehicles to improve or keep these units running.

I think overall its a great truck and very reliable to use. I daresay the reliability is better than a Pinz but marred by cheap coachwork. Neverthe less you can make a nice vehicle from what is there including the install of A/C and additional heat. I think what is possible with CASH is demonstarted by our upgraded Red Robin "pro mo truck" that we featured in this forum about two years ago. That truck incidently is available should anyone be flush with cash and want something different.
Dennis
75pinz

reliability

Post by 75pinz »

What is more reliable in regards to the Volvo? I have contemplated acquiring one but have not ever laid hands on one. My 712 is great aside from the heater and I am considering recitfying that with the Webasto from Dennis. A friend of mine considers the Volvo head and shoulders above the Pinz in all areas but I have to admit few shortcomings with the Pinzs that I have owned.
kc4mne

Post by kc4mne »

My Two Cent's worth

I own a TGB1111 a 710K and a 712M.

The Volvo is a great truck. The top sucks, I threw it away the first day I received the truck! Just run a "bikini top" on mine, but I am in Florida.

The Volvo is quieter and smoother than the Pinz and can accomodate larger tires. In the mud this beast is amazing!

Parts availability is however difficult at times as we all know. But the engine parts are available and other items you find as you need or make something work from another vehicle.

Other people love the truck on the road and I think as long as you are able to sell at 10K or a little under Tgb1111's will sell!
lindenengineering

In answer to the last few comments by 75 Pinz and Manny down in Florida where he doesn't need to worry about a Webasto!

The comment I am putting down here are based upon experiences and observation of the two trucks. Above all for me the Pinz is an engineers' conceived creation. A blank sheet of paper in the late 1960's and funding to create a marvel.
The Volvo on the other hand is a creation of an engineering commitee so similar to my roots in the UK Auto industry. Basically cobble some well proven components together. Bung 'em in a frame, include our legendary safety maxim where possible, and do it all within a budget so that it will make some sort of profit to justify the acceptance to the Swedish MOD and the shareholders.

Surprisingly both vehicles are credible off road mil trucks.
The Volvo is by far the unit that shows its Mil formulation so typical of the era; "Combat vehicles have a calculated finite life until distruction by the enemy". Usually about 100 hrs, so don't go overboard on the body structure.
Comparing the way a Pinz body is made with its Volvo counterpart doesn't really measure up. Sadly the end result means you have to be extra careful to find a Volvo that's not suffering from "tin worm".

The use of cheaper materials can also be found in rubber products, occasionally we have seen 30 year old fuel line on Pinzies rotten, but on a Volvo we change all the hoses, and the fuel pump before delivery to a customer. Why? simple. We got sick of recovering downed Volvos on a pre delivery test run.
The front axle boots are also prone to rotting and rupture. Not the everlast material of a Pinz the Volvo boot cries out to be changed before you deliver it, 'cos if you don't it will split on the customer and it will pee oil all over the brake backplate and wheel!
The electrical circuits are for the most part simpler on a Pinz and complimented by the use of breakers whereas the Volvo has those bloody aweful Euro torpedo fuses sat in a not so Volvo like fuse box holder. The nearby relays are all housed in a nice sub box in the dash but reliability can be marred if the body starts leaking water in to the box! Again that budget issue rears it's ugly head!.
Apart from those issues the Volvo can be a great alternative especially if you want something just a bit bigger, say bigger than Pinz but smaller than MOG.
Dennis.
End of my part one thoughts/impressions more later.
lindenengineering

The part two of my experiences are based upon what is likely to be experienced as long term ownership of these two units.

The Pinzgauer is well talked about on the other section of this board so simply scrolling down the submissions will give any prospective owner a good idea of what is involved in owning the truck for the long term.

The Volvo on the other hand is scarce by comparison so the parc has a limited feedback. Apart from the odd comments little can be gleened from postings about the Volvo.
I suppose it poses the question, "Is the Volvo simply more reliable"?

The answer perhaps lies in the fact that the truck is just more conventional when compared to a Pinz and therefore much less intimidating to the owner or some pro shops for that matter when it comes to maintenance/repairs. There is one thing however that does keep popping up, and that is parts availability, or the lack of them.

Those that know my shop will remember the Volvo fleet that was outside on the forecourt. Most of these have gone except one c303 6x6 that has been cannobolized to get the others up to snuff to sell them. This is a testament to this problem of parts shortages and the increasing scarcity of replacements. By comparison the Pinz has good parts availability, albeit on the pricey side as banks worldwide have flushed out dollars for euros!

So to make these Volvo trucks run we have been forced to be creative. That means modifying the platform to accept other components that will improve its long term attractiveness. Indeed one could say where would or could you stop with the personalization of the vehicle. Not that the Pinz is devoid of such creativity. If you look at Peter Farrer's truck down under you can see what the "mother of invention" has created; much of that is due to the need for right hand drive and scarce parts availability,compared with the USA. We did a Pinz DoKa conversion for a client in Arizona at some considerable cost, either way this is professional work and abit outside the realms of most private owners and their home garages. Not to mention bank accounts or what the "missus" will allow you to spend on a "toy"!

So to finish I come back to that cannobolized carcass we have left. Since the rolling chassis is intact we are going to see what we can do with it. For starters a diesel engine,(we have several to choose from out the back) Mercedes looks favourite 5 or 6 cylinders Sir?
Transmission, overdrive of course, (got one in the shed, Pinz guys don'
t seem interested)
Axles, leave them alone, glad I couldn't sell the last lot out from under the truck!
Then look at some disc brakes. The braking system is just about obsolete anyway with scare parts except for the wheel cylinders and shoes.
And so the list goes on!
One thing is for certain we will end up with a DoKa Volvo with cargo capacity that no-one else has. Maybe we will even sell it in the ultimo and make a fortune! Mmm! One the other hand I don't think so!
Merry Christmas
Dennis