Speedometer replacement

Issues pertaining to the TGB/C30X series engine and driveline issues
Jim Molloy
United States of America

Speedometer replacement

Post by Jim Molloy »

Good morning to all,
At some point in teh life of my C303, the truck was repainted from emergency yellow ot a red/orange color. A bt of overspray made into the cab so the instrments and switches have a fine peppering of little red dots. I am thinking of replacing the insruments with a fesh set of VDO gauges. Unfortunately, my favorite VDO mechanical speedometer is no longer available. Vince, I understand there is a trick to getting the VDO programmable speedometer to work in the C303. Can you run throuhg that process again? Thanks.
Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
http://www.northwestmogfest.com
Wutizit

Post by Wutizit »

Jim,

For what it's worth, before I picked up my C303 I had Vince install the new VDO speedo (and tach)- I assume you're talking about the same speedo. You can re-calibrate it right from the dash, while driving the truck (a good thing, especially when you change tires!). I have to say that I love it- it works really well (well, at least so far- I've not had my truck quite for a whole week yet), and it looks great. The illumination is far superior to the stock instruments! My tach flutters some, for some reason. Haven't quite figured that one out yet, but I've been too busy doing other things to worry about it. I've got the other VDO gauges to replace the originals, and I'll replace those as I have time.

But you're right about one thing- Vince is definitely the one you need to get in touch with on this. He did mine, so unfortunately I don't have any experience in installing them. I'm just glad I made the switch.

-Scott
Jim Molloy
United States of America

Post by Jim Molloy »

Scott,
Several years back, I replaced all my original VDO intruments in my 1963 Unimog 404 with new 12v units (along with the rest of a 24v->12v conversion). At the time, VDO offered a nice mechanical speedo but this is no longer available. The new gauges certainly bring a new life to an older truck.
So, is your truck the tan C303 that looks like it could have just been driven off a showroom floor? If so, very nice truck! Take care.
Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
http://www.northwestmogfest.com
Wutizit

Post by Wutizit »

Jim,

A 1963 Mog? Do you still have her? I've always liked the looks of Unimogs.

Yes, my C303 is the tan one that Vince just sold (it's the one that had been advertised as for sale on his website). There are some pics of another tan one he built prior to mine, but it apparently didn't have the new body upgrade. I think that one lives in California now.

Are you going to do the 12v conversion on your C303 as well? I thought about it briefly for mine, but then I decided to just keep it as a 24v truck. I will likely add a separate 12v system in the near future (especially if I decide to add a back-up camera and monitor).

I'm currently working on the inside of my truck. I've already started putting the "brown bread" vibration absorber (B-Quiet product) on the walls, and that alone has made a difference. I've also ordered some automotive/marine upholstery to put on the walls and ceiling, and I'm going to coat the floor with the Durabak stuff. Haven't figured out what (if anything) do to about the noisy cooling fan, though. I'm going to do everything I can to kill the sound first, and if that doesn't work, I may try to put one of those devices on the fan shaft that slips when the RPMs go up, so the engine doesn't have to drive the fan faster and faster. Have any suggestions, short of going with a new radiator and electric fans?

:)

-Scott